News from San Antonio Church – July 24, 2022

We would like to thank everyone who has continued to contribute to the ongoing expenses of San Antonio Church by mailing in their weekly envelopes or by contributing electronically utilizing WeShare . The buttons at the bottom of this post allow you to make online donations directly to the listed account for San Antonio Church.

Weekly Bulletin July 24, 2022

by Terrie Evans

San Antonio Church welcomes new and Holy Family Parish families to our 9:00 AM Sunday Mass due to the change in Mass schedules.  Holy Family Church is a big part of the history of Price Hill dates to 1884 with the founding of their church. At that time,  Price Hill became a popular destination for families after the floods of 1883 and 1884 after many left their homes in the valley to settle on higher areas of the city.  Price Hill today is now considered as one of the oldest outlying settlements of Cincinnati.  The population grew with German , Irish and Welsh Catholic Families who relocated to enjoy the lush grounds and clean air on top of a hill that was serviced by the 2nd Incline in the city of Cincinnati , started in 1874 by John and William Price.  The Incline, one for passengers and the other for freight would bring thousands of Cincinnatians to the Price Hill House and Pavilion.  Also located on the Hill was the all-girls school St, Vincent Academy established by the Sisters of Charity in 1854 that would years later become Seton High School.  

The new Catholics coming to Price Hill started to attend Mass at St. Lawrence Church, founded in 1868, that soon became overcrowded with the new residents.  Archbishop William Henry Elder agreed for the establishment of a new parish with a committee meeting with 4 possible names being considered.  Those coming up for votes were St. Alphonsus, St. Leo, Holy Family or St. Cecilia with Holy Family being picked on the second round of voting.  The dedication for the new parish took place on August 24, 1884 with the 1st Pastor, John Menke (1852-1897) presiding over the 1st Baptism, Michael Tracy, the 1st Funeral was for Richard Cleary and the 1st Wedding celebrated for Joseph Berry to Caroline Schmidt.  The 1st Communion Class consisted of William Hogan, Henry Moening, Théodore Lichtenstein, and Frank Nordhaus with Archbishop William Elder confirming 23 parishioners.  The 1st Holy Family School was established with a total enrollment of 30 taught by the Sisters of Charity living at Cedar Grove (Seton High School).  They came to school every morning in a Conestoga Wagon (horse drawn carriage) and took the children on field trips to the Cincinnati Zoo traveling in a brewery wagon.   By January 1900, the debt of the church, $8,060.61 was paid in full and a proposed addition to the church and school buildings was introduced. 

The area around Holy Family Parish grew and by 1911, 540 families were members of the church.  By 1914, another 227 families were parishioners and with a total of 767 families a new church was in the next phase with school enrollment reaching 473 with 9 Sisters of Charity at the school.  On Trinity Sunday on June 18, 1916, the new church designed by J. F. Sheblessey was dedicated by Most Reverend Henry Moeller that would hold 760.   The Firsts in the new church:  First Baptism:  Florence Elizabeth Brindley, First Marriage:  Carl George Weber to Martha Elizabeth Mechlenborg and the 1st Confirmation for 81 boys, 70 girls, 2 men and 5 women of the parish.    In 1934, the 50th Anniversary was celebrated along with the first recorded Festival was a milestone in the history of Holy Family.    Parishioners were asked to donate 65 ounces of gold, 65 ounces of silver, and small and large precious stones for a one-of-a-kind Monstrance crafted by Andrew Messmer & Company. 

On December 6, 1959, a solemn High Mass was celebrated for the 75th Anniversary and a farewell reception for Fr. Kuhn.  The Centennial 100th took place in June 1983 with a Homecoming Festival, a Parish Day at the Reds Game and a Holy Family Parish Picnic.  During the years 1988-89, Holy Family Parish merged with Our Lady of Grace and Our Lady of Perpetual Help and in 1994, St. Michael Church in Lower Price Hill became a Chapel of Holy Family until it closed.  In 1998, their statue of St. Michael found a new honorable home when it was placed in the Memorial Garden at Holy Family.  In January 2005, the Spanish Ministry began a prayer group and soon, Mass was celebrated on Sunday’s in Spanish.  Holy Family Parish celebrated their 125th Anniversary in June 2008 with a Mass and Dinner.  In 2010, Holy Family Parish agreed to align with San Antonio Church under the direction of Fr. Jim Kiffmeyer and then Fr. Len Wenke, who is now assigned to a parish in Dayton, Ohio with Fr. Rudy now assigned to Holy Family.  We welcome Rev. Rodolfo (Rudy) Coaquira Hilajie, a Peruvian Carboni Missionary.  Fr. Rudy was the Parochial Vicar of St. Leo and St. Boniface Parishes before coming to Holy Family Church.  Holy Family Parish will celebrate their 140th Anniversary in June 2023!

News from San Antonio Church – July 17, 2022

We would like to thank everyone who has continued to contribute to the ongoing expenses of San Antonio Church by mailing in their weekly envelopes or by contributing electronically utilizing WeShare . The buttons at the bottom of this post allow you to make online donations directly to the listed account for San Antonio Church.

Weekly Bulletin July 17, 2022

by Terrie Evans

The history of St. Bonaventure School and Parish dates to the time when early settlers from the East established an area in the community known as “Lick Run.”  There were 20 German Catholic Families, mostly farmers who inquired to Archbishop John Purcell about establishing a parish to serve their community.  A Franciscan, Fr. William Untertheimer, a German speaking Priest, was chosen to setup the new church on property donated the John Weber Family.  A small stone one room building was erected and dedicated as St. Peters in an area that would become known as Petersburg.  At that time, this new church was one of only 5 Catholic Churches in Hamilton County with the young Franciscan, Fr. Unterheiner traveling on horseback from Holy Trinity, on West 5th Street to St, Peter’s while serving as circuit rider.  With growing families, the church became the schoolhouse during the week with students from St. Mary’s Seminary in Price Hill teaching Bible History and Catholic Doctrine.  By 1850, the 2-story school building was completed on the property next to St. Peter’s Church to accommodate the now 60 students.    

By 1862, the Franciscan Fathers of St. John and St.  Frances Churches were in charge of St. Peter’s and knew the area of Lick Run was in need of a new school and church which was easily approved Archbishop, John Baptist Purcell By 1868, property was purchased on Queen City Avenue for a rectory and church that would eventually merge with St. Peter’s.  St. Bonaventure Church, established in 1869 at a cost of $50,000 with a seating capacity of 550.  In 1871, a school building was planned for the needs of the growing population of German Catholics residents who attended St. Bonnies in an agriculture area known for farms, breweries dairies, carpenters, stonecutters, and blacksmiths.  By the early 1900’s enrollment had overwhelmed the 1st school building and in 1908 a new school was dedicated for the eager 600 children who were ready to start the new school year in the 12 large rooms on three floors.  St. Bonnies provided many good memories for all who attended the neighborhood school and were taught and mentored by the dedicated and talented women and men religious from various religious sects.

The Religious Orders who served the school until its closing were the Franciscan Fathers, Sisters of St. Francis (Oldenburg), Sisters of St. Francis (Mishawaka), Ursuline Sisters, Sisters of Notre Dame, Sisters of Charity, Sisters of Mercy, Benedictine Sisters, and those Visitation Nuns.  Many of our past of San Antonio Parishioners attended   the school took part in the School Band, Cub Scouts, and Girl Scouts.  Many have memories of the 3-lane bowling alley that was a big hit in the neighborhood for the many San Antonio boys had jobs as pin setters.  San Antonio Parish Graduates:  From the Class of 1943, Frank Serraino, class of 1945, Buddy LaRosa, and Fr.  Fred Serraino, Class of 1952, Carmella (Serraino) Berger, Mary Lou (Stevens) Russo, Class of 1953, Phyliss (Delseno) Spade Class of 1955, Mary Ann (LaCortiglia) Brock, Linda (Delseno) Panaro, Nancy (Hasenhor) Yankoviak,  C lass of 1962, Dennis Gardner, Anna (Belfiore) Davis, Alana (Murvine) Rudemiller, Class of 1963, Linda (Suddendorf) Stoecklin, Linda (Stoll) Kelsey, Class of 1964, Janet (Suddendorf)  Steinle, Class of 1965 Lena (Belfiore) Huff and the Class of 1973, Aristide Belfiore.  Other parishioners who attended St. Bonnie’s are Joe Cupito, Donna (D’Angelo) Smith, Vince Cerchio, and  Rita (Schiesz) Miller.

There is a St. Bonnies Reunion held every year in the Fall for all classes.  This year the reunion is scheduled for Saturday, September 24, 2022, in the Hall at San Antonio.

News from San Antonio Church – July 10, 2022

We would like to thank everyone who has continued to contribute to the ongoing expenses of San Antonio Church by mailing in their weekly envelopes or by contributing electronically utilizing WeShare . The buttons at the bottom of this post allow you to make online donations directly to the listed account for San Antonio Church.

Weekly Bulletin July 10, 2022

by Terrie Evans

On this Sunday, San Antonio Church welcomes La Societa Fuscaldese Femminile, their members and guests for a Mass and Reception to honor their patron Saint, San Francesco.  Many in attendance this morning were originally from Fuscaldo, a hilltop town that dates to 589 A. D. with a population of 8,164.  The area is well known for San Francesco Di Paola and the many pilgrims who make the journey to visit the Sanctuary and Shrine which contains relics with documented miracles.  In honor of his feast day (July 15th) a special breakfast and program is held to pay homage to him by the La Societa Fuscaldese Femminile.  Their organization was started after the men’s only La Societa Fuscaldese Maschili was formed in the 1930’s for those who emigrated from Fuscaldo, Italy.  Every July, this group of men and their descendants gathered at Gutzwiller’s Grove to celebrate their new life in a new home.

The La Fuscaldese Maschili Society celebrated at picnic’s, parties, and worked to donate monetary   aid back to the villages they left behind.  The original men’s group was active for over 70 years until they disbanded in 2002.  After that, the women’ s service organization La Societa Fuscaldo Femminile was established for their families and the next generations of proud Italian Americans to pass on their traditions from the “Old Country”.  These women and their families we welcome at Mass and a reception on this morning support our church and the fundraisers at Sacred Heart Italian Church in Camp Washington. 

We are all honored to be part of your celebration!  San Antonio Church is also pleased to have parishioners from the Mazzei Family who have been loyal members of our church for many years.   Janet (Mazzei) Reiff and Connie (Mazzei) Dalessandro are dedicated volunteers who are descendants of an original and well known Fuscaldese family.  Their father was Natale Mazzei (1904-1997) who emigrated to America when he was 16 years old in 1919.  In the 1920 census, Natale was living on Main Street with Salvatore Mazzei, Carmine Mazzei, and his mother Concetta Mazzei.  In the 1940 census, Natale was a Naturalized Citizen living at 1330 Spring Street, employed as a Tailor and owned his own home.  Natale was first married to Lena Carusone (Caruso) and in the 1950 census, Natale was then wed to Antoinette Sansone until her untimely death in 1954.  Natale Mazzei would later marry Mary Francis (Vilardi) born in Fuscaldo, Italy who would later become a much-cherished mom to their 9 children until she passed in 2009.  The Mazzei siblings have many relatives from the Carusone, Sansone and Vilardi families with many talented seamstresses and tailors among them.  The Mazzei siblings consist of five sisters and four brothers, Theresa, Connie, Pina, Janet, Joan, Michael, Joe, the late James (1939-1998) and Frank (1959-2019) who are all part of the rich history of Italian families who settled in Cincinnati.   

Our San Antonio Church Community thanks Pompilios for supplying the Brunch and we appreciate the volunteers who prepared and served the morning breakfast.  Thank you to Chuck Bailey, Earl Einhaus, Vic Minella, Phil and Dave Sabatelli, Ron Dalessandro and especially Mike Reiff who has been here every Sunday to handle the extra malfunctions and jobs that turn up on a weekly basis.

News from San Antonio Church – July 3, 2022

We would like to thank everyone who has continued to contribute to the ongoing expenses of San Antonio Church by mailing in their weekly envelopes or by contributing electronically utilizing WeShare . The buttons at the bottom of this post allow you to make online donations directly to the listed account for San Antonio Church.

Weekly Bulletin July 3, 2022

by Terrie Evans

San Antonio Church Parishioners will never forget those generous benefactors who have no familial ties to our church but have worked with us to keep our church open for Sunday Mass, Rosary and Communion Service, and Our Lunch on the House Program.   They are Beth and Bill Burwinkel, Bernice and the late Will Feldmann (1933-2021), James Mathews, Margaret and Joseph Seta.       

Everyone who attends our church is very grateful to the roster of visiting priests whose dedication to us and the needs of San Antonio are much appreciated.  They are:   Our Pastor, Fr. Len Wenke, Fr. Bill Ferris, Fr. Frank Jasper, Fr. Eric Knapp, Fr. Joe Folzenlogen, Fr. Pat McCloskey, Fr. Paul Ruwe, Fr. Mike Savino, Fr. Ralph Westerhoff, Fr. Harry Meyer, and the late Fr. Donald McCarthy (1930-2018).  They have not only celebrated Sunday Mass but, they have made themselves available for Baptisms, Weddings, and Funerals as they continued to serve at other churches.   Our church community is excited that they are part of the history of San Antonio Church and our 100th Anniversary.  

            In the history of our church, San Antonio had separate organizations for the ladies, The St. Ann’s Married Ladies Society, and the Men’s Club for the gentlemen of the Parish.  The two were combined for the members to work together on many projects and events.  At present, the officers of the Men’s and Ladies Club are President, Dave Sabatelli, Vice President, Connie (Mazzei) Dalessandro, Treasurer, Vic Minella, and Secretary, Rose (Sabatelli) Einhaus. They have worked many hours on the milestone 100th Anniversary and planning the 1st of the Month Family receptions to honor those early founding family groups. 

Every Tuesday, San Antonio Church welcomes everyone to our Rosary and Communion Service.  The group that meets every Tuesday is   Jeanine Bertram, Mary Ann Capano, Betty Hartman, Linda (Stoll) Kelsey, Mary Ann Lander, Monnie Milazzo, Rita (Schiesz) Miller, Tony (Palmieri) Minges, Dottie Pollard, Janet (Suddendorf) Steinle, Linda (Suddendorf) Stoecklin and Ken Stoll.  They set aside those Tuesdays not only to pray the Rosary and receive Communion but to include all those extra prayers needed for our church community.  We appreciate this dedicated group who relays those special intentions beyond our San Antonio Church Parish.   

            The group of volunteers that were not mentioned in previous bulletins but who are here on Sundays to open the doors, set up the Hall, bake the bread, get the church ready, and clean up the debris and litter around the church.  Those “Steady Enders” are Vic and Marilyn Minella, Harry and Linda (Delseno) Panaro, Janet (Mazzei) and Mike Reiff, Rita (Schiesz) Miller, Bill and Terrie Evans.  Our church is run on all volunteer effort to keep everything running smoothly.  In the past almost 100 years, San Antonio Church has had a legacy of selfless workers from every founding family who are today still attending our church. 

We are unique, as all of us have a connection to the founding of the church and the neighborhood of South Fairmount that was filled with hard working new citizen families trying to achieve the American dream.  All of us are proud of where we came from and where are grandparents and parents came from.  It was not an easy journey for them, and we were excited to hear their stories and share them with each other.  Thank God they crossed an ocean and took a chance on a new life full of unknowns.  They were proud to be Americans.  We know they came here for all of us!  Happy Independence Day on the 246th Birthday of our Country!

News from San Antonio Church – June 26, 2022

We would like to thank everyone who has continued to contribute to the ongoing expenses of San Antonio Church by mailing in their weekly envelopes or by contributing electronically utilizing WeShare . The buttons at the bottom of this post allow you to make online donations directly to the listed account for San Antonio Church.

Weekly Bulletin June 26, 2022

by Terrie Evans

On Sunday, July 3rd, our San Antonio Church Community will hold a reception in our Hall to honor those dedicated present-day members who celebrate Mass with us every Sunday.  We have welcomed new parishioners in the last 20 years such as Richard “Dick” Linnemann who designed a new gate for the church after his good friend, Guy Langenbrunner erected the new brick enclosure.  Dick has helped us out many times when our fence was damaged due to out-of-control drivers.    Dick, a descendant of 2nd Great Grandfather, Carriage maker, John Linnemann (1820-1901) originally from Hanover, Germany.  Dick’s Great Grandfather, Bernard H. Linnemann (1849-1933), a manufacturer in the Auto Industry, was known for using an old Ford chassis to build the 1st station wagon used at the Western Hills Country Club.  Dick’s father, Richard J. Linnemann (1905-1980) became a legend in the boat racing circles inventing gadgets for hydroplanes and reconstructing houseboats built a one-of-a-kind desk for Syd Nathan of King Records.  Father, Richard J. and son, Richard B. “Dick” Linnemann worked on projects at Sterling Industries for the Lookout House, Hueston Woods and many local restaurants where their signature paneling, chandeliers and decorations can be found.  Presently, Sterling Industries is known for Metal, Plastics and Wood Fabrications.  Our dedicated parishioner, Dick Linnemann married his wife Carol Moeschl at Our Lady of Lourdes Church on August 31, 1957, celebrating 65 years in 2022.  Their family consists of daughters, Tammi, Donna, and son Richard.

We also remember longtime parishioner Jim Schulter and his late wife Sandy (1943-2016) who were a big part of the history of San Antonio Church.   Jim’s sister Fran (Schulter) Acito was married to the late Joe Acito (1945-2011) and is a good friend of Jack and Pam (Acito) Baker.  Jim is now at Bayley Place.                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

San Antonio Church parishioners for 15 years, Frank Perrotta and Deanne “Dee” Gardonio introduced our church community to the legend of San Francisco de Paola, their much-revered saint born in Paola, Italy in 1416.  We have learned of the saint’s healing powers and the importance of his Feast Day, July 15th.  Frank has become the caretaker of the beautiful carved wood likeness of the saint while designing and adorning San Francesco with the gold Charitas crown.  Frank has also   donated a beautiful 18 carat gold chain with a St. Anthony Pendant for our 100t Anniversary Raffle.  Frank and Dee have volunteered at Lunch on the House, Palm Sunday Bake Sales, and Annual Spaghetti Dinners.  Dee has become well known to our priests as the coffee cake baker for her homemade treats she has gifted them over the years.      

A lifelong church member from the Studt Family, Sandy (Studt) Schroeder has been a supporter of San Antonio Church and a volunteer at our twice monthly Lunch on the House noontime meals.  Sandy’s parents are Bob and the late Louise (Marckesano) Studt (1930-2017) with siblings, sister Debbie, and brother Bill.  Sandy has two sons John and Rob with husband Carl Stoecklin.

Angela Crovetti has been a member of the Men’s and Ladies Club as an Officer, served and scheduled student helpers at the Spaghetti Dinners, and supported the yearly Pizza Party and Palm Sunday Bake Sales.  She dutifully brought Panera bread, bagels, cookies, and many delicious baked goods for our Lunch on the House Program for many years.  Our guests were very appreciative for all the extra goodies Angela brought to the Hall for them to enjoy.

A few years ago, we welcomed Dan and Melissa (Morrissey) Minella, part of the large Minella Family. Dan and son Christiaan have attended Mass regularly and have made many family connections with other San Antonio Parishioners.  Dan’s parents were Alfred (Daggy) Emil (1913-1970) and Dorothy Elizabeth (Maguire) Minella (1918-2013) and grandparents were Sabato Minella (1875-1956) and Philomena (Sciarti) Minella (1884-1950).   Son, Christiaan Minella, a graduate of The University of Notre Dame   wed Andrea Alkire on June 4, 2021, and just celebrated their 1st Anniversary. Congratulations! 

A new parishioner joining San Antonio Church 9 years is George “Yotz” Purtell who was married to the late Freda Louise (Perkins) Purtell (1945-2015) originally from Montcalm, West Virginia.  Freda was popular Waitress at Camp Washington Chili when they lived in the area and attended Mass at Sacred Heart Church before moving to Westwood.   George “Yotz’s enjoys making new friends and became a good friend to Fr. Earl Fernandes (now Bishop of the Diocese of Columbus) who officiated at Freda’s Funeral Mass.  George shares his love of all sports, Bengals. Reds, Horseracing and Bingo with daughter Donna, son-in-law Tim Gregory and granddaughters, Rebecca, Sylvia, and Jessica.  

Parishioner, Joe Yoshimura a transplant from Chicago has become a regular at our 9:00AM Sunday Mass.   Joe came to Cincinnati to attend Xavier University and went on to teach in the CPS schools for over 35 years winning Teacher of the Year at Walnut Hills High School in 1998.  Joe was also and a well-respected High School Basketball Referee for 27 years.  Joe and wife Martha have been married for 21 years 3 children and 7 grandchildren.  

A new family to San Antonio Church the Gregg and Lisa Ellerhorst Family including children Virginia, Ashley, Rob, Will and Audrey.   Gregg’s parents the late Robert (1928-2008) and much-loved teacher at Our lady of Visitation School, Marian (Reck) Ellerhorst (1928-2020).   Gregg’s siblings, Jan, Julie, Cindy, Gary, Pete, and Brian. 

San Antonio was happy to welcome   Carol (Charters) Frey, friend of Mary Ann and Joe Cupito as a parishioner.  The Cupito’s introduced her to San Antonio Church after the passing of her husband of 40 years, Paul “Hans” Frey, an Elder teacher for 37 years and Basketball Coach for 22 years where there is a Memorial Court dedicated in his honor.  Besides supporting our church, Carol has been doing volunteer work at the St. Lawrence School library.  

Our newest family to join our church is the Steinriede Family: Henny, Eleanor, Salina, Devon, and Jesse who attended Mass with us on Sunday’s.  The Steinriede’s have been residents of South Fairmount since the 1800’s with their descendants strong supporters of St. Bonnie’s Church and School.   The late Steinriede Patriarchs were James, Harry, and Jerome.  Denny Gardner’s friend was the late Harry Steinriede Jr. (1948-2014) his classmate at St. Bonnie’s School and his lifelong friend until his passing.

News from San Antonio Church – June 19, 2022

We would like to thank everyone who has continued to contribute to the ongoing expenses of San Antonio Church by mailing in their weekly envelopes or by contributing electronically utilizing WeShare . The buttons at the bottom of this post allow you to make online donations directly to the listed account for San Antonio Church.

Weekly Bulletin June 19, 2022

by Terrie Evans

As we get closer to the 100th Anniversary of our church, we recall the parishioners who have had no prior history to South Fairmount or any of our parish families.  One couple is Paul and Mary Louise (Timpe) Unverzagt.  Paul (1922-1985) and Mary Lou came to San Antonio Church around 1980 and after Paul’s passing, Mary Lou continued as a   parishioner for the next 27 years until the time of her death in 2012.  Paul was from a prominent Evansville, Indiana family, graduated from the University of Notre Dame, and served in the military during World War II.  Mary Lou (Timpe) Unverzagt grew up on Robert Avenue and moved to Clifton where she met Paul while he was taking classes at UC.   After Paul’s passing, Mary Lou attended Sunday Mass and volunteered every Monday in the Office at Holy Family as a counter for the Holy Family and San Antonio Sunday collections.  Mary Lou was very generous and donated large sums of money for our White Street Hall awning and the brick enclosure to protect our air conditioners.  Mary Lou was a part of our big San Antonio Parish family, and we still miss her. 

We also remember another couple, Fred, and Dixie (Klemme) Brandewiede (1940-2021) who shared a lot of San Antonio history with us as they supported our church and all our fundraisers.  Everyone from our church family will never forget Dixie’s beautiful welcoming smile.  We are still happy to see Fred Brandewiede at Sunday Mass and hear the latest news about his family, sons Mark and Matthew, daughter Melissa and his 6 Grandchildren.    

A San Antonio Church member who has become a part of our lives is Dennis Gardner who grew up in South Fairmount, attended St. Bonnies, graduated from Roger Bacon, and served in the Army Infantry during Vietnam 1967-1969.  Dennis was severely wounded in 1968 with many prayers said throughout the neighborhood for his recovery.  Dennis served his last year in the Army stateside and later attended the UC for Radiology.  Dennis wed Danease (Rosenacker) and welcomed Brian, Katie and 5 Grandchildren.  At the request of our late parishioner, Mel Fariello, Dennis was asked to serve Mass on Sunday’s and has been dutifully assisting for the last 15 years.  He has served at many funerals and has been flexible to the priests’ requests for feast days, blessings, and special occasions.   

Mary Ann and her cousin Jimmy Capano, (their fathers were brothers) started attending San Antonio Church around 2007 when we were celebrating our 85th Anniversary.  In 2006, Mary Ann had just retired as a Title Examiner, when she met Fr. James Schutte, Pastor at St. James.  On his invitation Mary Ann came to the Rosary and Communion Service and Lunch on the House.  Mary Ann also met Fr. Jim Kiffmeyer, at St. James White Oak when he was temporarily in charge on Fr, Schutte’s absence.  Fr.  Jim Kiffmeyer replace Fr. Jim Schutte at San Antonio in 2010, and at that time, Mary Ann found a new home church.  Mary Ann has been volunteering for the Rosary and Communion Service on Tuesday’s and at Mass on Sunday’s. 

Jimmy Capano soon followed as he had just retired from his full-time job in the restaurant business with the Commissar Family.  Jimmy and wife, Valerie Capano have always enjoyed the fast-paced work of the restaurant business and are now at the Capital Grille in Kenwood on Sunday’s.  Jimmy and Valerie’s family consists of 3 sons, Brandon, James, and Kyle.  Jimmy Capano has been a supporter of all our fundraisers, yearly Mussie Fest’s, and annual Spaghetti Dinners.  Jimmy’s Great Grandmother was Italia Marie (Zari) Mazzei (1888-1975) well known professional Midwife for 37 years who aided in 6,000 births while living in Cincinnati.  There is another Mazzei connection to Jimmy Capano with Connie (Mazzei) Dalessandro and Janet (Mazzei) Rieff.  They along with Janet’s hubby Mike are part of the group who picks up debris every Sunday morning before Mass to make our grounds a welcoming place.  

Tony and Sally Rosiello came to San Antonio Church with his cousin, Alfred (Sonny) and Mary Ann Denicola and Tony’s mom Carmella (Denicola) Rosiello (1929-2017) at the time of our 85th Anniversary.  Tony’s dad, Anthony P. Rosiello grew up at 525 Liberty Street and had passed away in 1991 at 68 years old.  Tony’s Grandparents were Anthony Rosiello (1889-1966) and Antoinette (Patalena) Rosiello (1893-1958) who came to America from Potenza, Italy.  Tony and Sally have really supported San Antonio Church from the start and have never turned down any requests.  They became strong   supporters who promoted our church to coworkers and friends, with Tony inviting Steve Chabot for a visit on Veteran’s Day for a flag ceremony, replacing our worn old glory.  Sally came forward to work tirelessly scheduling our priests and servers for Mass and funerals.  Tony oversaw the printing for the 1st placemat for the Annual Spaghetti Dinner and promoted every ad to make it a success.  Tony and Sally’s family consists of daughters, Gina and Ali, their spouses and 3 grandchildren.  

We have had many good volunteers for our church and hall.  Another dedicated volunteer is Donna Asalone who grew up in Walnut Hills attending Our Lady of Mount Carmel.   Donna came to San Antonio at the invitation of Carmella “Cumi” Berger to bake cookies for our Palm Sunday Bake Sale.  Donna has been with us for 5 years now joining the Men and Ladies Club and volunteering at the 2nd and 4th Tuesday Lunch on the House and for the 1st Sunday of the Month family receptions.  Donna’s parents were Giovanni Anthony Asaslone (1920-1980) and Pasqua (Perrino) Asalone (1921-2013 who came from Gallo, Province of Caserta, Campania, Italy.  Donna’s family consists of late husband Joseph Fleshman (1942-2019), daughter Marianne and grandchildren Kyle and Lauren.   

A couple who came to San Antonio Church to work at Lunch on the House have been volunteering for every event and have now joined the Men’s and Ladies Club.  Chuck and Nancy Bailey enjoy volunteering and are good friends of Dave and Sandy Sabatelli, Chuck and Nancy Bailey have enjoyed many new friendships and everyone at San Antonio wishes them well as they celebrate their 55th Wedding Anniversary on this Friday, June 24, 2022.  Congratulations!

News from San Antonio Church – June 12, 2022

We would like to thank everyone who has continued to contribute to the ongoing expenses of San Antonio Church by mailing in their weekly envelopes or by contributing electronically utilizing WeShare . The buttons at the bottom of this post allow you to make online donations directly to the listed account for San Antonio Church.

Weekly Bulletin June 12, 2022

by Terrie Evans

We have seen many generous volunteers and benefactors take charge of the many needs since our church building was built in 1940.   Generations of our family members have left their imprint on every surface of our building, hall, and grounds.  Throughout the month of June, we will honor those members as we anticipate the next celebration on July 3rd.  Quite a few years ago, a man who had grown up in the neighborhood, James George (Doc) Bauer (1922-2017) realigned our side door entry with a ramp for easier access for funerals and for those parishioners not able to handle steps.  James George (Doc) Bauer who passed away in 2007 attended St Bonaventure and San Antonio Churches married Marjorie (Buescher) and welcomed Sharon, Mia, Rick Frank, and Janice.  They were once neighbors of Mary and Willard Stoll.  The Bauer’s were early settlers when Doc’s Great Grandfather, John C. Bauer was the local Milkman, living at West Lick Run Pike.  His Grandfather, Valentine Bauer (1858-1938) lived on the north side of Queen City Avenue, west of Lick Run and Doc’s father, Charles John (1883-1962) and mother, Mathilda (Volz) Bauer (1882-1968) also raised their family in the area.  The original Bauer Family homestead was located at 2165 Queen City Avenue near the now historic St. Peter’s Church, established in 1844.  

In the history of San Antonio Church, there were years that the future of our and other churches were unknown.  Our parishioners came forward to enlist a plan and help from family and friends.  It was during that time that Joe and MaryAnn Cupito brough their good friends Edward (1923-2010) and Jane Marie (O’Toole) Cranley (1928-2020) to Sunday Mass.  The Cranley’s were married in 1950 after Ed served in WWII and graduated from Boston College.  Lt. Edward Cranley was in the U. S. Navy Air Corps at the time of their wedding and was soon deployed to Japan due to the Korean War.  They later relocated to Cincinnati and then to Crestview Hills, Kentucky with children Kevin, Nancy, Kathleen, Lynne, and Terry.  Their Catholic Faith was important to the Cranely’s, and they saw how hard we were willing to fight to retain our church.  Ed and Jane sponsored many of the events held during those years and continued to attend and support San Antonio Church until their passing.  Throughout the 60 years of their married life, Ed and Jane supported Right to Life of Greater Cincinnati and the Diocesan Catholic Children’s Home and other worthy causes.      

            We will never forget the talents of Giles “Guy” Anthony Langenbrunner (1930-2018) who became a regular at Sunday Mass with wife Del Langenbrunner.  Guy was born in Kentucky, moved to Cincinnati at age 9, graduated from Elder High School in 1948 served in the 101st Airborne in the US Army during the Korean War.  Guy was a stone mason who founded the G & G Langenbrunner Masonry Company with brother George and was the catalyst behind our Brick Memorial Garden Fundraiser for our 85th Anniversary in 2007.  He would enlist his friends to support our fundraiser and Guy started the process by showcasing the area, with a stone bench in honor of Fr. Jim Willig (1951-2001) and a donation from Edgar Willig (1921-2017) for landscaping.  While working to get all the bricks stamped and placed, Guy was also constructing our new lighted Marque.  We were able to raise funds for much needed repairs and have a beautiful blessing and celebration in October 2007.  Many of our parishioners at San Antonio Church have fond memories of attending the Rosary Rallye held every May at the Pit at Elder, an event the Langenbrunners promoted.  The Langenbrunner family consists of children: Sandy, Lori, Greg, and Doug.   

William “Bill’ Milazzo (1933-2019) was raised in South Fairmount and attended St. Bonaventure School with brothers Frank (1930-2016) and Charles. Bill served hie country in the US Navy during the Korean War while brother, Frank served in the Air Force during Vietnam and Korea.  Their parents were Frank (Lefty) (1908-1970) and Ella (Holtzacker) Milazzo (1910-2010) who resided at 1538 Harrison Avenue. Frank (Lefty) Milazzo was 2 years old when he emigrated from Italy in 1910 with parents, Caesar (1880-1965) and Michela (Damico) Milazzo (1888-1979).  William “Bill” married Alma (Monie) April 16, 1955, at St. Ignatius Church and would welcome Tony, Charles, Maria, Angelo and the late Joey and Bill.   Monie and Bill started attending San Antonio Church after our 85th Anniversary and have supported our fundraisers and events.  They celebrated 64 years of married life at the time Bill’s passing in 2019.   Monie has continued to assist at Mass on Sundays and at the Rosary and Communion Service on Tuesdays.  

Mike and Linda (Stoll) Kelsey came to San Antonio Church at the time we were getting ready for our 85th Anniversary.  Linda came to our Tuesday Rosary and Communion Service with her mother Mary (Krems) Stoll (192-2013) and their friend from St. Bonaventure, Sr. Joseph Marion Shappelle (1926-2010) a Sister of Charity   from Sr. Blandina’s Order.  Her parents were Mary (Krems) (1922-2013) and Willard Stoll (1918-2005) who were married on October 25, 1941, at St. Augustine Church.  Willard Stoll was the French Bauer neighborhood Milkman for 32 years.  The Stolls celebrated their 50th Wedding Anniversary in 1991.  Linda (Stoll) Kelsey grew up across from St. Bonaventure School with sisters, Ginny, Leilani, Theresa, Mary Ann and brothers, Ken, Mike, Chris, Jim, and Steve also attending St. Bonnies, Linda Stoll would meet and marry Roger Bacon Grad, Mike Kelsey on August 29, 1969, and welcome Mary, Walt, Katie, Pat, and Sally.   And 22 Grandchildren.   Since joining San Antonio Church, they have volunteered with Mike assisting at Sunday Mass and on Tuesday’s with Linda handling the Rosary and Communion Service.   Our San Antonio Church Community wants you and all your families to know we could not be celebrating our 100th Anniversary without you!

News from San Antonio Church – June 5, 2022

We would like to thank everyone who has continued to contribute to the ongoing expenses of San Antonio Church by mailing in their weekly envelopes or by contributing electronically utilizing WeShare . The buttons at the bottom of this post allow you to make online donations directly to the listed account for San Antonio Church.

Weekly Bulletin June 5, 2022

by Terrie Evans

On this Sunday we welcome the members of the Sabatelli family and the generations of those   long-ago settlers to Little Italy who are still active parishioners of San Antonio Church.  Phillip Sabatelli arrived in America in 1913 and after coming to Cincinnati worked as a water boy for the construction crews paving the streets of South Fairmount.   Phillip and Mary (Salerno) Sabatelli lived next door to our church from 1943-1950 and were present at the festivals, the annual Marian processions and other historical events held during those years.  In 1998, we welcomed back their son Phillip Jr. and late wife, Judy (Bone) Sabatelli.   The other Sabatelli family members who are active at San Antonio Church are Earl and Rose (Sabatelli) Einhaus, Dave and Sandy Sabatelli, and Larry and Eileen (Sabatelli) Vickery.  After joining our church, they have shared many memories from the neighborhood while volunteering to work for the good of San Antonio Church.  Our church community thanks all of you on this special day for your family.

We also welcome the Dalessandro Family today who share cousins within the Panaro, Grieco, Guerrera, and Marckesano, families.  They have a very long and rich history with the church and the neighborhood of South Fairmount.  The late Tim and Anne Dalessandro attended all Men’s and Ladies Club meetings and were valued members and volunteers until their passing.  Tim’s brother Ron, and wife Connie (Mazzei) Dalessandro have given many volunteer hours for bake sales, Pizza Party Fundraisers and the Annual Spaghetti Dinner and have also been Officers of the Men’s and Ladies Club in the past.  Our parishioners thank them for bringing Connie’s sister Janet (Mazzei), hubby Jim Reiff, and their daughter Gabrielle who after becoming parishioners have been active in the Men’s and Ladies Club and are always there when other jobs are needed to be done.  Jim has many talents and has handled carpentry work and many fixes it repairs needed in our Hall.  The Dalessandro family dates to the start of our church and we are grateful to still have them as members.  

The Guerrera Family has always had a presence at San Antonio Church with ties to many of our parishioners such as the Panaro, Grieco, Robinson and Stevens Families.  Many members of their family were always willing to be of service to our church from the day San Antonio Church was dedicated in 1922.  Miss Virginia (Guerrera) Stevens (1910-1970) mother of Mary Lou (Stevens) Russo, along with Antoinette and Brigida Schiavo performed in a play, “The Princess Who Hid Her Shoes” for the formal dedication of San Antonio Church on August 6, 1922.   Sr. Blandina Segale, Servant of God assisted them to sew their costumes and guide them on this big day.   The 1st generation of Italian Americans born in the United States were now receiving the sacraments in their newly established church.  Ruth (Guerrera) Kallmeyer (1919-2001) along with other neighborhood children posed for the 1927 Confirmation class picture with our Pastor, Fr. Vincent Graglia.   Patriarch, Giuseppe “Joseph “Guerrera (1885-1953) would serve San Antonio Church as a Lay Advisor from 1928-1931 for many years continued to guide the next Committee’s from the parish.  At present, Jo Ann (Berning) Lyons, daughter of Annie (Guerrera) (1915-2007) and the late Melvin Berning has become a regular part of the kitchen crew for Lunch on the House and a volunteer for special events.   

On this Sunday, we also recall the contributions the D’Angelo family has made to San Antonio Church.  Theresa (Mueller-Wilhelm) D’Angelo, grandmother of our parishioner Donna (D’Angelo) Smith was highlighted in the Sant Antonio Italian Church 10th Anniversary program in 1932 as an Officer with the St. Ann’s Married Ladies Sodality.  The other ladies serving our church during those years were Mrs. Paul Wilke and Mrs. Vincent DeLuca under the direction of Fr. Dennis Engelhard, O.F.M.                                                                             

Our church has been blessed with many talented Organists since the start of the choir in 1934.  The Joseph and Pauline Ebertz along with daughters Rosemary and Marjorie   volunteered in our early years with Citizenship Classes and in 1934 helped with the formation of the San Antonio Choir.  Miss Rosemary Ebertz became the Musical Director for the newly formed Choir and would play at mass along with her younger sister, Marjorie Carolyn (Ebertz) Adams.  Rosemary became Sister Mary Joeline, R.S.M. with the Sisters of Mercy for 66 years at the time of her passing on July 15, 2005, at the McAuley Convent.  Her younger sister, Marjorie Ebertz would attend Mother of Mercy Academy, Our Lady of Cincinnati / Edgecliff College, and the Sacred Heart College of Music in New York City.  Marjorie wed Army Capt. James Adams in 1946 and their family would consist of Joeline (Adams) Lecture who at one time played at San Antonio Church, Jane (Adams) Pomeroy, and Marilyn Ebertz.  We will never forget the how much the Ebertz family from Holy Family Parish did for all our families during those early years when San Antonio was just established.

News from San Antonio Church – May 29, 2022

We would like to thank everyone who has continued to contribute to the ongoing expenses of San Antonio Church by mailing in their weekly envelopes or by contributing electronically utilizing WeShare . The buttons at the bottom of this post allow you to make online donations directly to the listed account for San Antonio Church.

Weekly Bulletin May 29, 2022

by Terrie Evans

          

We are coming to the end of historical families that will be honored on Sunday, June 5th at Mass, and a Reception in the Hall.  Today we honor the last two families who have many years of history with San Antonio Church, the D’Angelo and the Gene and Pat Osterkamp family.  The first is Rosario D’ Angelo (1887-1929) who settled in South Fairmount and had a younger sister Concetta Agnes Mary D’Angelo (1889-1954) who also journeyed to America and settled in the “Little Italy” section of Lick Run whose parents were Zachariah and Rosa (Acito) D’ Angelo.   Agnes (D’Angelo) married Antonio Augustine (1884-1926) on December 18, 1910, at Sacred Heart Church.  They had 8 children before Antonio’s sudden death in 1926.  Rosario D’ Angelo sister Agnes raised her children at 1968 Queen City Avenue and kept her family together while taking menial jobs.  Rosario D’Angelo moved to 1890 Queen City Avenue when he became a Naturalized Citizen on October 3, 1914 and served in the Marine Corps in WWI from June 2, 1918-December 31, 1918, at Paris Island, South Carolina. After his service, Rosario married Theresa (Mueller) Wilhelm (1889-1972) a widow from Pennsylvania who was from Austria-Hungary and worked as a seamstress. 

Rosario D’ Angelo and Theresa (Mueller) Wilhelm were married on April 29, 1920, at Sacred Heart Italian Church on Broadway in Cincinnati.  They set up their homestead at 1869 Westwood Avenue, near Forbus Street.  Their family consisted of Frances (D’ Angelo) Larbes (1920-1988) who attended St. Bonnies in the 1920’s, Theresa Wilhelm, Jacob Wilhelm, who was listed in the 10th Anniversary Program in charge of the Catholic Boys Brigade and the Blessed Virgin Society, and the youngest, Robert D’Angelo. Rosario suffered from Chronic Bronchial Asthma and passed away from the disease at age 42.   After his passing, Theresa (Mueller-Wilhelm) D’Angelo became a member of the St. Ann Married Ladies Sodality where she served as Secretary of the women’s group. 

Rosario and Theresa’s son, Robert D’ Angelo (1923-2007) served in the Army during World War II when he was 20.  Before he enlisted, he was employed by The Powell Valve Company.  On his return, Robert married Eileen V Miller (1927-2011) on April 12, 1947, at St. Bonnies’ Church by Rev. Ervin Gehring   with a reception at the Price Hill Community Center and moved to 1858 Westwood Avenue.  Their family consisted of Ronald, Donna Smith, and Nancy Buckner.  Robert and his son Ronald worked in the plumbing business together until Robert D’ Angelo’s passing in 2007.  The D’ Angelo Family joined San Antonio Church after the closure of St. Bonaventure Church and attended Mass and our Tuesday Rosary and Communion Service.  After the passing of her parents, Donna (D’Angelo) Smith has remained a parishioner who has celebrated Mass with us on Sunday’s and continues to support our church. 

Also, to mention of this Sunday is Gene Ostenkamp and the list of very talented Organists we have served us at Mass and special events held at San Antonio Church.   A few years after our church was established, Margie Ebertz worked to establish the Choir and served as our organist.  Her daughter Jolene (Ebertz) Lecture attended Mass, was a Christmas Angel on many Christmases Eves, and later took over playing the organ for Sunday Mass.  A Granddaughter from the neighborhood, Barb (Esposito) Illaqua, would schedule Choir practice every week and played for Sunday Mass, funerals, and special events until she relocated for a job in Washington, D.C. 

Out next Organist, Gene Ostenkamp was with us for 35 years until his passing in 2014.  Gene along with Pat (Baarlaer) Ostenkamp were valued parishioners who were dedicated to the success of our church.  Pat, a talented seamstress volunteered her sewing skills on many occasions even making new cushions for the Altar chairs and hemming cloths on the Altar.  Gene and Pat celebrated 54 years of marriage at the time of his passing.  Their family, daughter Doris (Ostenkamp) Lucas and sons, Gene, Ed, and Daniel Ostenkamp. 

Our San Antonio Church Community also remembers the other talented musicians who were with us at Sunday Mass:  Matt Spencer also served as the Director of Music at Holy Family, Denise Luebbe -Vasquez who was the Latino Community Liaison at Holy Family parish, Edward ‘Ted ‘Walter who is a Dean and Communication Director for the American Guild of Organists, and Ted Wartman who has played throughout the Archdiocese.  

Our present Organist, Paul Wentzel who has been with San Antonio Church for 6 years, started playing at 11 years old after taking lessons at St. Clement Parish in St. Bernard.  While attending La Salle High School, Paul played on Sunday mornings at St. Theresa Little Flower, St. Richard of Chichester, Assumption, St. Martin’s, St Ignatius, and many other churches in the Archdiocese.