Sister Blandina Objects!

Many of the early parishioners of San Antonio Church faced discrimination. Sister Blandina Segale was a proponent of her fellow Italian-Americans and spoke out against the disparate treatment that they received.

Cincinnati Enquirer May 1, 1914

News from San Antonio Church – Sept. 19, 2021

We would like to thank everyone who has continued to contribute to the ongoing expenses of San Antonio Church by mailing in their weekly envelopes or by contributing electronically utilizing WeShare . The buttons at the bottom of this post allow you to make online donations directly to the listed account for San Antonio Church.

Weekly Bulletin September 19, 2021

by Terrie Evans

Our  next family group to be remembered and honored on Sunday, October 3rd  will be the Antonio (Anthony) and Rose Mary (Stevens ) Cerullo Family.  Anthony R. Cerullo arrived from Felitto, Italy alone at the age of 18 years old in 1920 and became good friends with the Raffaele Minella family  on Queen City Avenue. He felt at  home  in the Little Italy section of South Fairmount as there were many residents from Felitto.  Anthony Cerullo (1902-1991) married Rose (Stevens)1908-1992) on June 26, 1926 in Hamilton, Ohio and became part of the Stevens Family with her siblings, Dominic, Noble,  Dan, Angela, Jean, Josephine. Theresa, Louise and Margie welcoming  him.  

Anthony and Rose  settled  in the Lower Lick Run Section of South Fairmount at 1890 Queen City Avenue and welcomed daughters Rosemary (Cerullo) Schneller(1928-1984)  and Marlene (Cerullo) Steers (1933-2020).  They joined San Antonio Church and in 1932, Anthony Cerullo was part of the Festival Committee under the direction of our then  pastor, Rev. Dennis Englehard, O.F.M.  The Cerullo Family were present at the dedication of the new  San Antonio Church on December 1, 1940, when Rosemary was 12 and Marlene was 6.  During the 1940’s  Anthony  served in the United States Army Corps of Engineers  during WWII.  When he came home after his service, the Cerullo’s  became an important part of our church and a big part of the fabric of the Italian Community in South Fairmount.  He was known for his gardening skills, winemaking and the love he had for San Antonio Church. Anthony  worked many hours doing the electrical work needed for the annual festival and handled repairs to the church building while  being a member of the San Antonio Men’s Society.  He retired from the Cincinnati Gas &Electric Company after 28 years and went on to be a Commander of American Legion Post 507,  VFW Post 4962 and a valued member of the South Fairmount Improvement Association. 

Rose (Stevens) Cerullo was also a very dedicated and active parishioner at San Antonio Church as a member of the St. Ann’s Ladies Sodality, St. Angela Ladies Auxiliary #28 Knights of St. John and served on the Committee for the 50th Anniversary of the church in 1972.  Rose also worked as a hostess at Women’s Exchange Restaurant and later on at LaRosa’s Italian Inn.  Their daughters, Rosemary and Marlene also carried on the volunteer work of their parents as young girls.  Rosemary Cerullo  (1928-1984) married Richard Schneller (1929-2016) and welcomed Thomas, Rick, Dan (1959-2016), and Linda Rose.  Rosemary Schneller later became a member of the Madeira-Indian Hill Fire Department.  Even though  Rosemary moved out of the neighborhood, she  always supported our fundraisers. Marlene  (Cerullo) (1933-2020)  married Ronald Steers(1931-1970) stayed on the West Side and  carried on the work of her mom Rose (Stevens)  and dad, Anthony Cerullo at San Antonio  until the last few years of her life.  

Marlene  was a member of the present day Men’s and Ladies Sodality and worked the many fundraisers while working as the 1st Female E.M.T. Fire Fighter with the City of Cheviot.  She became  a widow at 37 when Ronald died suddenly on their anniversary  in 1970.  Marlene was left  with a young family, Diana(Steers) Michels, Donna (Steers) Richards, Debby (Steers) Still and the late Dana (1962-2002), Duane (1962-2006) and Darren Steers (1968-2002) to raise while continuing to support San Antonio Church during those difficult years. 

There was also another Cerullo Family –  Carmine (1919-1990) and spouse Rosa (1924-2015) who once resided at 1730 Harrison Avenue.  They are buried at Fountainhead memorial Park in Palm Bay, Florida.  


You can also look forward to the future stories of another group of Minellas, sisters who made South Fairmount their home: Rosaria Minella Florimonte, Elena Minella Di Stasi, and Antonia Minella Carota.

News from San Antonio Church – Sept. 12, 2021

We would like to thank everyone who has continued to contribute to the ongoing expenses of San Antonio Church by mailing in their weekly envelopes or by contributing electronically utilizing WeShare . The buttons at the bottom of this post allow you to make online donations directly to the listed account for San Antonio Church.

Weekly Bulletin September 12, 2021

by Terrie Evans

Our next Mass and celebration is scheduled for Sunday, October 3rd with San Antonio Church honoring  4 early families.  The 1st will be the  members from the Delseno and  Stevens (DiStefano) Families.   Dating back to those early years, Angelo Michael Delseno  (1877-1964) was born in the Province of Salerno, Campania, Italy  to parents Guiseppe and Rosina Delseno.  Angelo (1877-1964) wed Philomena Paladino (1881-1964)  and  in 1903, they journeyed to America.  A few years later,  Angelo and Philomena bought their home at 1978 Queen City  in the Upper Lick Run area of South Fairmount while he worked for the Cincinnati Gas Company at  4th and Main.  They  welcomed siblings Joseph John Delseno ( 1906-1973) who wed Irene Catherine Mead (1906-1980), Rose (Delseno) Schwartz Luken (1908-1986) 1st married Fred Schwartz (1888-1957 & 2nd  William Bernard Luken 1902-1972), Helen Delseno (1910-1975) who wed Robert Frank Murvine (1912-1981), John Delseno (1912-1981) who wed Josephine Mary Stevens (1913– 1979), Nelda Delseno (1915-1970) who wed Edward Clarence Ekhardt (1917-1968), Frank Delseno (1916-1931), Christine Grace Delseno (1918-2012) who wed Arthur Stath (1919-1991),  and Daniel (Donato) Delseno (1920-2001) who wed Marilyn Elizabeth Hickman (1923-2004).  Philomena and Angelo, known in the neighborhood for their vegetable and flower  gardens, passed away 5 months apart, Philomena (July 22, 1964) and Angelo (December 5, 1964), they were married over 60 years.   At one time their sons, John Delseno owned a restaurant on the West Side and his brother operated “Hobo Joe Delseno Café”.  

The next family to be honored on October 3rd  is the Daniel (Donato) 1883-1961 (Festival Committee 1932)  and Louise (Roberto) 1886-1963  Di Stefano (Stevens) Family.  Married  in Italy around 1902, they  had their first child Dominic( Elmer) Stevens in Italy on September 24, 1904 and around 1906, they arrived in America.  Dominic (Elmer) Stevens (Secretary of Festival Committee in 1932) married Virginia Mary Guerrera (1910-1970).  Dominic (Elmer) Stevens (1904-1987)  other siblings were Rose (Stevens)  Cerullo (1908-1992) who wed Antonio Cerullo (1902-1991) ( San Antonio Festival Committee in 1932).  Angela (Stevens) (1909-1979) employed as a Finisher in a tailor shop  wed Vincent De Luca (1899-1992)  lived at 1964 Queen City Avenue when Vincent was employed at Proctor and Gamble in Ivorydale .  The other siblings were Antoinette “Jean”(Stevens) (1911-1988) married to Phillip Cohen (Cohen Bros. Shoe Store) lived in Las Vegas where Jean worked as a waitress at the Dunes while Phillip held a government job, Josephine (Stevens) (1913-1979) wed to John Delseno (1912-1981), Theresa Mary Stevens (1915-1991)  worked at Kline’s, wed Joseph Gleisinger (1914-1997) ) and lived at 1980 Queen City Avenue when Joseph  worked at  A Topicz Company.     Noble Louis Stevens (1918-1992), who  wed Evelyn Orem (1920-1995) on April 14, 1941, were the 1st couple to marry in our new church.  Daniel N. Stevens Jr. (1920-1998) a POW during WWII Captured by Germans wed  Assunta “Sue”  Carelli (1918-1959) then Lena( Drew ) (1921-1998) in the 1960’s.  Louise Stevens (1923-1994) held jobs  in the restaurant industry and married Beverly Benton (1914-1999)  in 1981.  The oldest sibling, Dominic (Elmer) Stevens  owned  Haynay’s Grocery  Store with his wife, Virginia and their family consisted of Donald Stevens “Snoz” (1931-2008)  who wed Dolores (1932-2015) Joseph “Frog” Stevens (1940-2003) married Mary Ann Kurre (1949-2011) and current parishioner and last surviving sibling, Mary Louise( Stevens) and husband Frank Russo. 


You can also look forward to the future stories of another group of Minellas, sisters who made South Fairmount their home: Rosaria Minella Florimonte, Elena Minella Di Stasi, and Antonia Minella Carota.

News from San Antonio Church – Sept. 5, 2021

We would like to thank everyone who has continued to contribute to the ongoing expenses of San Antonio Church by mailing in their weekly envelopes or by contributing electronically utilizing WeShare . The buttons at the bottom of this post allow you to make online donations directly to the listed account for San Antonio Church.

Weekly Bulletin September 5, 2021

by Terrie Evans

On this Sunday, September 5th San Antonio Church  Parishioners welcome the members of the D’Agostino, Minella and Ventre families who are descendants of the 1st generation of the Italian Colony who settled in South Fairmount and founded our church in 1922.  Those new arrivals of young poor immigrant families  we are honoring went through hardships and  difficult times to come to America for a better life for their families.  Many of the men came first  with almost nothing except for the clothes on their backs,  a few dollars in their pockets,  an address of their final destination their sponsor’s name and a job.  Two brothers, Sabato (1875-1956) and Raffaele Minella (1877-1963) both worked in the coal mines of Pennsylvania before settling in Cincinnati with their families.  They took manual labor jobs at Lunkenheimer’s; Sabato for 40 years and Raffaele until 1912 when he took a job at General Hospital for a $16 a week salary.  Luciano Ventre (1895-1984) came to the United States worked hard as a brick layer for the City of Cincinnati and lived to see his three Ventre  grandsons  Steve, Doug and Greg also work for the City as Cincinnati Police Officers. 

Those early arrivals to America worried over every dollar they made as  they had families to support with some of their monies going to other family members coming to Cincinnati.  The D’Agostino, Minella and Ventre families all  had help getting here, so they assisted  the  next group  of new arrivals from Fellitto, Rocadespeide or other remote little villages around  Southern Italy.  Everyday life was uncertain and a challenge with families losing children in infancy and spouses passing away at a young age.  Sabato and Philomena Minella lost 3 year old Eutimo in 1911 and 15 day old Rosa Antonetta in 1926.   Silvano and Dena Minella lost  10 month old  Lawrence in 1917  with Luciano and Maria (Schiavo) Ventre losing 1 month old daughter Carmines in 1925.  When men became widowers with children to raise, they chose to marry again to keep the family together as Vito Minella did when he lost his wife Maria.  When Vito married again to Palma, she was able to keep the family together and add Silvano, Mary and Brigid as siblings to their big family.  

When  Antonio  D’Agostino (1885-1926) died at the age of 41 years old but, Concetta Agnes Mary (D’Angelo) D’Agostino never  gave up.  Antonio left 8 children and a 37 year old widow with the oldest D’ Agostino sibling,  Josephine at 15 and the youngest, Jean a 1 year old.  Concetta took on the responsibility of raising her family by taking on  jobs of cleaning, cooking and becoming a caregiver and midwife to the women in the neighborhood.  The siblings Josephine, Mary, Carmella, Anna, Johnny, Nick, Russell, and Jean banded together doing whatever was necessary to keep the family together.  They became one of the  many success stories of the Little Italy neighborhood around San Antonio Church.  They stayed close,  celebrated successful marriages, careers, and with each generation, achieved  even more of the American dream. The granddaughter  of Antonio and Concetta D’ Agostino, Connie (Wakeman) McCluskey helped build a successful car dealership  with her late  husband Dan.  They had a plan and never gave up to live in the greatest country full of opportunities for their children and the many generations to follow.  They were proud to call America home.


You can also look forward to the future stories of another group of Minellas, sisters who made South Fairmount their home: Rosaria Minella Florimonte, Elena Minella Di Stasi, and Antonia Minella Carota.

News from San Antonio Church – August 29, 2021

We would like to thank everyone who has continued to contribute to the ongoing expenses of San Antonio Church by mailing in their weekly envelopes or by contributing electronically utilizing WeShare . The buttons at the bottom of this post allow you to make online donations directly to the listed account for San Antonio Church.

Weekly Bulletin August 29, 2021

by Terrie Evans

Our next celebration on Sunday, September 5th  will be in honor  of early San Antonio Families.  On this Sunday, we introduce  the last D’Agostino (Augustine) family, sister of Rosario (1872-1954) and Antonio (1885-1926), Angela (D’Agostino) Roberto (1878-1952).  Married to Francesco Roberto (1880-1961) in Felitto, Italy, they settled in the Upper Lick Run area of South Fairmount at 2208 Champlain Street and welcomed:  Angela (Roberto) Gramaglia (1906-1984), Joseph Roberto (1908-1992), Mathilda (Roberto) Picadio, Margaret Roberto Bruser  (1914-1998), Antoinette (Roberto) Martin (1914-2007), Louise Francis (Roberto) Berning (1917-1991), and Mary Ann (Roberto) Clift (1921-2003). 

The next Minella Family to recall are the siblings born from the marriage of Vito and Maria (Carricola) Minella.  They were  Mathilda Rosa (Minella) Schiavo (1871-1938) and Sabato Minella (1875-1956).   Mathilda Minella(1871-1938)  born in Felitto, Italy and wed to Nobile Schiavo (1868-1947) before  settling at 1937 Queen City Avenue in the Lower Lick Run area of South Fairmount.  They welcomed 6 children:  Maria Rosaria (Schiavo) Gnazzo (1893-1965), Virginia (Schiavo) Prinzo (1899-1978), Giovanna “Joanna” (Schiavo) Feldkamp (1901-1967), Antoinette “Jean” (Schiavo) Neighbors (1907-1978), Bridget “Patricia” (Schiavo) Swan Bowler (1909-1998), and Vito Frank “Samuel” Schare (1912-1969). 

Another Minella Sibling born of the union of Vito and Maria Minella was Sabato “Sam” Minella (1875-1956) who wed Philomena Sciarti (1884-1950) in Italy.   After his arrival in Cincinnati, Sabato “Sam” Minella founded the Societa Di Contandini  in 1907 to help new arrivals from Italy become citizens.  He retired from Lunkenheimers after 40 hard years.  They welcomed 11 children:  Vito Raffaele Minella (1902-1972), Minot Carmen Minella (1903-1999), Raffaele Joseph Minella (1906-1993), Eutimio Minella (1908-1911), Maria Cecilia (Minella) Kelsch (1910-1995), Alfred Emil Minella (1913-1970), Ruth Ethel (Minella) Jones (1915-1991), Ramon Minella (1918-1949), Florence “Pud” (Minella) Johnson (1921-2015), Esther Dorothy Minella (1923-2008), and  Rosa Antonetta Minella (1926-1926). 

The last two daughters  of Vito and Maria Minella were Theresa (Minella) Guerrera (1864-1955) and Antoinette (Minella) Schiavo ((1864-1948).  Theresa married Giuseppe Guerrera and settled in the Lower Lick Run Section of South Fairmount at 1938 Queen City Avenue with  sons, Carmine and Emil Rosario Guerrera.  Theresa’s sister, Antoinette Minella (1864-1948) married Pasquale Schavio (1861-1946) in Italy and settled at 1990 Queen City Avenue.  The other early parish  families are Great Aunts to Vince Cerchio,  sisters Antonia Minella  (1884-1958) who came to the U.S. in 1910 on the ship Duca Di Genove  and married Augustus Carota (1886-1973).  They  lived at 2168 Tillie Avenue and welcomed Alfred, Anne, Anthony, Carmen, Fred, Julius, Helen, and Joe Carota.  Her younger sister,  Elena Minella (1891-1970)  came to the U.S. on December 16, 1920 to marry Joseph Di Stasi on April 9, 1921.  Joseph died on December 22, 1929. Antonio and Elena’s parents were Angelo and Louisa (Guerrera) Minella who stayed in Felitto, Italy.  Vince’s Grandmother on his mother Helen’s side was also a Minella.  Rosaria Minella (1900-1971) who  wed Joseph Florimonte (1900-1942) and welcomed  siblings Michael, Angelo, Anthony, Joseph, Louise, Helen Cerchio, Antoinette Odenbach, and Anna Sprecker.    


You can also look forward to the future stories of another group of Minellas, sisters who made South Fairmount their home: Rosaria Minella Florimonte, Elena Minella Di Stasi, and Antonia Minella Carota.

News from San Antonio Church – August 22, 2021

We would like to thank everyone who has continued to contribute to the ongoing expenses of San Antonio Church by mailing in their weekly envelopes or by contributing electronically utilizing WeShare . The buttons at the bottom of this post allow you to make online donations directly to the listed account for San Antonio Church.

Weekly Bulletin August 22, 2021

by Terrie Evans

On this Sunday, we introduce members  from the different branches of the D’Agostino (Augustine) and Minella Families in anticipation of our next family celebration on September 5th.  The 2nd  grouping  of the 1st generation of  the Rosario (Russell) D’Agostino (1872-1954) and Giuseppina (Josephine) Rizzo (1874-1925) family who married in Felitto, Italy around 1899.  Rosario’s (Russell’s)  siblings were:  Antonio D’Agostino (1885-1926), and Angela (D’ Agostino) Roberto (1878-1952). Giuseppina’s (Josephine) siblings were:  Angela (Rizzo) Roberto (1861-1935) and brother Giovanni Rizzo.  They couple settled into their homestead at 2028 Queen City Avenue in the Upper Lick Run area of South Fairmount  where  Rosario and Giuseppina welcomed children :  Giuseppe(Joseph)  (1901-1966) born in Felitto, Nicola Rosario (1903-1909) born in Felitto, (1904- 1909), while  Dominic (1908-1969), Lillian ( D’ Agostino) La Casella (1910-1979), and Giovanni (1915-1916) D’Agostino were born in Cincinnati.  Giuseppe (Joseph) D’Agostino wed local girl,  Anna Minella on October 28, 1922 and they had two children;  Russell Frank (1923-2018) and Josephine Ann ( Augustine) La Rosa (1931-2011).  Lillian D’ Agostino married Frank La Casella (1904-1986)  on May 26, 1926 and they had two children Dorothy Marie and Louis La Casella (1933-1933).   

The next group of Minella Family members were the Family of Silvano Minella (1888-1961), son of Vito and  Palma (Cuccio) Minella (1849-1929).  Silvano, a tailor, married the daughter of Mary Josephine( Palmieri) (1881-1973) and Lorenzo Panaro (1874-1940), Bernadina “Dena” Panaro on September 14, 1913.  They  established  their family home at 1933 Montrose Street in the Lower Lick Run section of South Fairmount when White Street was a hilly unpaved road.  Their  large home  built in 1886, became an apartment house  and good residence to local renters once the Minella siblings were married and on their own.  Silvano and Dena welcomed 7 children:  Victor C. Minella (1914-1992), Lawrence Minella (1916-1917), Palma Viola (Minella) Dattilo (1918-2016), Marian Josephine (Minella) Schiesz (1920-2012), Mathilda “Tilda” (Minella) Wegman-Law (1922-2008), Richard “Mussie” Minella (1926-2015), and Ralph Joseph Minella (1928-2020).  Silvano Minella had two younger sisters, both also born in Felitto, Italy, Maria Minella Morra (1882-1955) who wed Domenico Antonio Morra in 1905 and had :  Angelina (Morra) Bonavita (1905-1984), Palma (Morra) Del Vecchio (1907-2001), Joseph Morra (1911-1986) Jean (Morra) Henkenberens (1911-2002), and Rose Morra (1926-1993).  Silvano’s other sister, Brigida (Minella) Tedesco (1882-1970), wed Gaetano “Thomas” Tedesco and had Lucy M. Tedesco (1908-2001) and Carmen Jose Tedesco (1919-1974).  The Tedesco family settled in Hartford, Connecticut and are buried there.  Silvano, Brigida and, Mary  also had siblings from their father, Vito’s 1st marriage to Maria (Caracciola) :  Antoinette (Minella) Schiavo (1864-1948), Theresa (Minella) Guerrera (1866-1955), Mathilda (Minella) Schiavo (1871-1938), Sabato Minella (1875-1956), Raffaele Minella (1877-1963) who will be introduced in next week’s bulletin.


You can also look forward to the future stories of another group of Minellas, sisters who made South Fairmount their home: Rosaria Minella Florimonte, Elena Minella Di Stasi, and Antonia Minella Carota.

August 2, 1922: The Band Played, the People Sang and Mass was celebrated.

by LuAnn Roberto

One of the best things about working on the San Antonio 100th year anniversary events is reading some of the history! This piece was written and published at the Tenth Year Anniversary in 1922. I learned a few new words like “oscensorium” and that Sacro Cuore Church is Sacred Heart Church. You will recognize some of the names, which I think is my favorite part.

Enjoy the read!

From the “SILVER JUBILEE OF THE SANTA MARIA INSTITUTE (1897-1922).” we cull the following account of the beginnings of our parish:

A colony of Italians is located in Fairmount. Soon after the foundation of the Santa Maria, the Sisters visited the place and recognized the necessity of doing something to attract the Italians to the practice of their religion.
In co-operation with the Franciscan Fathers, a sewing class for girls was opened in one of their school rooms.
A catechetical class was organized for children not attending St. Bonaventura School. These accomplished some good, but, for important reasons, they could not be continued.

Rev. J.B. Balangero, pastor of the Sacro Cuore Church, was invited to say Mass in St. Bonaventura Church and administer the sacraments to his fellow-countrymen; only a few Italians took advantage of the privilege.

When these efforts failed to accomplish the desired objective, the Sisters continued visiting the homes, praying and hoping for means to establish a permanent welfare center.

In the early part of 1922 a donation of $3,400 was received for children’s welfare work. The Sisters decided to use the money for the Fairmount children, estimated in number at two hundred. The intention was to rent a few rooms, open a welfare center, using the donation for its support, but no suitable place could be found for rent. 1946 Queen City Avenue was for sale. As it was admirably suited for the purpose, the Sisters purchased it with the donations on hand, trusting to Divine Providence to send means for the support of the intended Welfare Center.

As soon as this work was known, friends began to send donations. Sister Dominica, S. N. D., in charge of the Tabernacle Society, sent vestments and other articles for the alter, including a beautiful chalice in memory of Miss Amelia Wharum. Rev. Wm. Anthony, Owensville, sent  the altar; Rcv. J. H. Shcngbcr donated a number of articles;

Mt. St. Joseph, Mother House, a beautiful oscensorium; Rev. A. Brockhuis, O.F.M., St. Anthony Shrine; Rev. Timothy Bailey, several useful articles; Miss Mary Metz; benches to seat about one hundred and fifty persons; Mrs. Mastropaolo, Adoring Angels. Other friends made special offerings.

On the Sixth of August, 1922, the St. Anthony Welfare Center was opened with the celebration .of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, by Rev. Antonio Bainotti, assistant pastor of the Sacra Cuore Church. About two hundred Italians assisted at the Holy Sacrifice with the greatest reverence and devotion.

Rev. Father Bainotci preached an eloquent sermon. The Santa Maria girls sang the popular Italian hymns in which many of the congregation joined. It was an inspiring sight to see the revival of the latent faith of the people. Benediction was given after Mass. Mrs. Manuel Cueto presided at the organ. Master Carlo Mastropaolo accompanied with the violin. As there were not enough benches, many people brought their own chairs.

After Mass about forty persons remained for choir practice. In a short time they will all join in congregational singing.

The people showed their lively gratitude in having a place of worship of their own, as many of the older people do not understand English, consequently did not approach the sacraments.

Unsolicited, the Italians took up a collection among themselves and purchased one hundred chairs, statues, carpets and many other articles. The men came every evening after their day’s labor to level the playground, paint walls and woodwork and do all the work necessary.

On Tuesday, August 10th, the sewing classes were opened in charge of Mrs. Sullivan, her sister, Miss Nellie Sturla, and Mrs. George Shays. Fifty girls enrolled in the morning class. The mothers met in the afternoon.

On the Twelfth of August, the men called a meeting. Thirty-two men responded. They organized themselves into the St. Anthony Society.

The members expressed their desire to take part in the next Holy Name parade. On the Eighth of October, sixty-four men represented St. Anthony Welfare Center in the Holy Name Parade! Now there are sixty-nine.

On the Eighth of October, the formal opening of the Welfare Center took place. The large hall used as a chapel made a fine appearance. The alter was a profusion of flowers, candles and electric lights. The statues of the Sacred Heart and St. Anthony occupied conspicuous places, whilst the beautiful adoring angels stood near the tabernacle.

Rev. Antonio Bainotti celebrated the Mass. The chapel was crowded by the Italians of the neighborhood. The Knights of St. John, Covington, composed of Italian young men, manifested their interest by generously giving the service of their band and by receiving Holy Communion in a body.

At half past nine o’clock, the Italian residents, headed by the band and banner bearers, escorted His Grace, the Most Reverend Archbishop, from St. Bonaventura Church to St. Anthony Welfare Center. Queen City Avenue presented a picturesque scene. On arrival at the Center the assembled multitude joined in the popular hymn, “Noi Vogliam Dio.” At its conclusion, His Grace addressed the people and expressed his pleasure at the generous co-operation which manifested their love of the Faith of their fathers bequeathed to. them by the Apostles. Benediction wich che Blessed Sacrament followed, and a hymn of Thanksgiving, in which all joined, completed the impressive ceremony.

In the afternoon an entertainment was given exclusively for the children, arid the hall was nearly filled by them. An entertainer for adults was given in the evening. Miss Anne Maele’s splendid rendition of “Il Trovatore” captivated the audience. Renaco Lombardi sang “Spiricu Gentile” and “Notcurno d’ Amore,” and his magnificent voice elicited encore after encore. Carlo lvfasrropaolo and Miss Alma Cassenelli fairly made the violins sing. Miss Ankenbrock gave a humorous reading which convulsed the audience with laughter.

Miss Severia Contadino sang “Addio Mia Bella Napoli”, which was greeted by great applause.

Rose Contadino and Miss Alice Hamad added pleasure with their beautiful selections.

In the “Unburied Woman” the Misses Angela and Rose Distefano, Miss Greco and Miss Vicario acted their parts to perfection, and in the charming playlet, “The Princess Who Hid Her Shoes”’ the Misses Antoinette and Brigita Schiavo and Miss Virginia Guerrera, in their royal costumes, performed their parts in truly royal manner.

The Missus Antoinette Vicario and F. Marchesano delivered humorous recitations in a very laughable manner. The singing of America, in which all joined proved their loyalty to their adopted country, and this ended a joyous day for the Italian Colony at Fairmount.

The Alumni of Mt. St. Vincent Academy, Cedar Grove and Mt. Saint Joseph Academy, Delhi, have taken St. Anthony Center as their special work of benevolence. The Mesdames Joseph Sturla, Louise Sullivan Shays, the Missus Nellie Sturla, Emma Nassano and Mildred Sullivan are generously devoting their time and their talent to the upbuilding of this Welfare Center.

As Rev. A. Bainotti found it impossible to continue saying Mass at St. Anthony Welfare Center, owing to his other parochial duties, the Rev. A. Ruffing, S. J. celebrated Mass there on Sundays and holidays till the return of the pastor, Rev. J.B. Chiotti, who now officiates.

The above quotation was written towards the end of 1922. It seems that Father Chiotti continued to give divine services until the summer of 1923 when Father Francis Bredestege was given charge of the church. At the end of summer 1924, he was succeeded by Father Dean McFarland, who in the fall of 1925, gave way to Monsignore Giles Allais. Divine services were held ordinarily only on Sundays and Holydays of Obligation. With the advent of Father Vincent Graglia in the summer of 1926, who resided in St. Francis Hospital, services were held every day, Father Gragtia having been sent to work among the Italians of Dayton, Ohio, Father Bredestege  supplied his -place for about two months, when in the summer of 1928, the Most Reverend Archbishop John T. McNicholas placed the parish in charge of the Cincinnati Franciscan Fathers, whose Church of St. Bonaventura is but seven minutes’ walk distant from St. Antonio’s.

A Franciscan Father for the first time functioned in the church on Sunday, September 9th, of this year in place of Father Claude Mindorff, O.F.M., the appointed  pastor, who, however, for weighty reasons could not take over the position permanently, and at the beginning of October, 1928, Father Dennis Engelhard, O.F.M., was appointed pastor.

In 1928 the Committee of Lay Advisers consisted of the following: Anthony Palmire, who served as the efficient treasurer since the beginning of the parish until April, 1931; Joseph Guerrera, Antonino Cupito, Lorenzo Panaro and Paul Wilke. In April, 1931, the following new Board of Lay Advisers was selected: Vito Gramaglia, Michael Scorzello and Dominic DiStefano, secretary. Thanks are due for past generous efforts of the  Men’s Society, which, however, of late has not functioned well. The St.Ann Married Ladies’ Society is doing good work with the following officers: Mrs. Paul Wilke, president; Mrs. Teresa D’ Angelo, secretary, and Mrs. Vincent Deluco, treasurer.

Jacob Wilhelm is working hard to round up the boys in the Catholic Boys Brigade and Blessed Virgin Sodality.

###########

We look forward to seeing, meeting and celebrating with all of you throughout this important 100th year!

News from San Antonio Church – August 15, 2021

We would like to thank everyone who has continued to contribute to the ongoing expenses of San Antonio Church by mailing in their weekly envelopes or by contributing electronically utilizing WeShare . The buttons at the bottom of this post allow you to make online donations directly to the listed account for San Antonio Church.

Weekly Bulletin August 15, 2021

by Terrie Evans

On Sunday, September 5th, San Antonio Church will honor the different branches of the Minella, D’ Agostino (Augustine) and  Ventre  families.  During the month of August, we will introduce the 1st generation of those  newly arrived families who settled in our neighborhood and helped to establish  our church.      

The 1st is  Antonio D’Agostino or Augustine (1885-1926) who married  married Concetta Agnes Mary D’Angelo.  In 1910, their homestead was located  in Lower Lick Runs at 1933 Montrose Street.  Augustine Siblings:  Josephine Rosa (Augustine) La Casella (1911-1984), Russell John Augustine (1913-2001), Mary Carole (Augustine) Wakeman (1915-2005), Nicholas frank Augustine (1916-1997), John Baptist Augustine 1919-2006), Anna Agnes (Augustine) Haney Drahmann Coppola (1921-1962), Jean (Augustine) Bromwell (1923-2015) Carmella (Augustine) Roda (1925-1994).  Antonio D’ Agostino was born in Italy  with  his siblings  Rosario D’ Agostino (1872-1954) and Angela (D’ Agostino) Roberto (1878-1952).  

2nd, The  Minella Family in the Upper Lick Run section at 1986 Queen City Avenue.  Raffaele  “Ralph” Minella, (1877-1963),  son of Vito and  Marie (Carraccio) Minella married Philomena (Perrone) in Italy.  Minella Siblings :  Victor Minella (1899-1985), Marie Anna (Minella) Augustine (1904-1992), Sabato “Sam” Minella (1907-1946), Mathilda Lea (Minella) Macaluso (1909-1981), Antoinette Mae (Minella) Lee (1911-1997), Theresa (Minella) Frye (1912-1997), Rose (Minella) Dattilo (1915-2014), Catherine “Kate” Minella (1918-2011), Herman S. Minella (1920-1993).  At the time of his death, Raffaele lived in the United States for 62 years arriving here in 1901.  His siblings were Antoinette (Minella) Schiavo (1864-1948) Theresa( Minella ) Guerrera  (1866-1955) Mathilda (Minella )Schiavo (1871-1938),  Sabato Minella (1875-1956), Maria (Minella) Morra (1883-1935), and Silvano Minella (1875-1956).  Raffaele and Philomena’s granddaughter was TV personality, Dottie (Macaluso) Williams (1929-2019).   

There were 3 Ventre brothers who came from Felitto, Italy as young men.  They were the sons of Carmine and Caroline (Sabetta) Ventre, The 1st,  Domenico Ventre (1877-1933) and his wife Ermalinda (Salerno)  Ventre (1877-1958) resided at 2330 Quebec Road with children:  Herman, Carmen, Nicola and Caroline.  2nd, Vito Ventre (1880-1965) and  Maria Reviello (1889-1966)  resided at 1825 Forbus Street with children:  Carmen, Herman, Caroline, Philomena, Angela, Anthony.   3rd,  Luciano  (1895-1984) married  Maria (Schiavo) Ventre (1898-1962) settled at 1914 Horton Street with siblings:  Carolyn (Ventre) Acito (1921-2009) (Officer of the Ladies Sodality), Casmineo Ventre (!925-1925) and Joseph Louis Ventre (!926-1998). Carolyn Ventre  married Peter Acito (1916-1993) and both  became valued members of San Antonio Church and members of the Choir.  Carolyn’s brother Joseph Louis Ventre wed Elsie Farson and welcomed Steve, Doug, Greg, Jeff, Karen and Dan (three of the Ventre boys became Cincinnati Policemen).  Other Ventre families:  Nick (1923-2009) and Catherine (Carchedi) (1925-1983) attended Rosary and Mass along with  sisters, Gilda Ventre Meehan (1922-2012) and Mathilda (Ventre) Fischer who were members of the St. Ann’s Ladies Sodality and worked the annual Spaghetti Dinners in years past.

News from San Antonio Church – August 8, 2021

We would like to thank everyone who has continued to contribute to the ongoing expenses of San Antonio Church by mailing in their weekly envelopes or by contributing electronically utilizing WeShare . The buttons at the bottom of this post allow you to make online donations directly to the listed account for San Antonio Church.

Weekly Bulletin August 8, 2021

by Terrie Evans

On August 6, 1922, families from South Fairmount came together to celebrate the founding of the St. Anthony Welfare Center and the start of our church with a Mass presided over by the Assistant Pastor of Sacred Heart, Church, Rev. Antonio Bainotti.  As we look back into the history of San Antonio Church; we must remember how the Italians from the original Sacred Heart of Jesus Church on 5th and Broadway helped pave the way for the residents of South Fairmount.  Before the colony of Little Italy around Queen City Avenue was formed, the 2 Italian born  Sisters of Charity did much work with the Sacred Heart Church Italians.  Those Italian families arrived from a journey that took them  from Calabria, Italy  to New Orleans  and then by boat up the Mississippi River to Cincinnati around 1800.  They too wanted a church to serve their  community and to unite all new arrivals from their home country.  After years of planning and fundraising, the new Sacred Heart  Church was dedicated on August 27, 1893. 

This church was not only for the benefit of their parishioners but, for the whole community as Archbishop William Elder was very concerned about proselytism spreading among the Italian people.  Sacred Heart Church soon became an important cultural and social center as well as a spiritual home for the Italian Catholics of Cincinnati.  At that time, the Sisters of Charity, Blandina and Justina took responsibility for the Italian Children to prepare  them for their First Holy Communion and Confirmation.  Before our church was established, Sacred Heart Church held some Baptisms and  weddings of our South Fairmount Italian families.  Many traveled by carriage on cobble stone streets to attend church or receive the sacraments where they felt welcomed at Sacred Heart.  Some of the early weddings  that were celebrated during those early years  were:  Lorenzo Panaro to Maria Josephine  Palmieri on Sunday, June 16, 1895, by Rev. Lotti, Dena  Panaro to Silvano Minella on Sunday, September 14, 1913, by Rev. John Baptist Balangero, one of the 51 weddings performed that year and the wedding of Sacred Heart Parishioner and well known boxer, Anthony LaRosa to Mary  Elena Panaro on  Wednesday, September 4, 1929, by Rev. Remigio Pigato. 

Srs. Blandina and Justina became acquainted with many of our families through Sacred Heart Church  and realized  the need for a church in their own neighborhood.  They realized how difficult it was for the South Fairmount families to traverse their way to 5th and Broadway.  Even though Sr. Blandina and Justina came from Cicagna, a commune in the City of Genoa, northern Italy, they  knew of the many struggles of the Southern Italians who were mostly peasant farmers.  They did whatever it took to serve the  Italians from Sacred Heart and the colony of the later arrivals from the southern mountain villages of Felitto, a town founded in the 10th Century, Potenza, overlooking the valley of the Basento River in the Apennine Mountains of Lucania, and Roccadaspide near the Cilento National park where prized chestnuts are grown for chestnut flour that is used for sweets and pasta.  For 40 years  the much beloved Sr. Blandina (Servant of God) and Sr. Justina, the Segale Sisters unconditionally served many generations of  grateful Italian families.  We will never forget them.