News from San Antonio Church – July 12, 2020

We would like to thank everyone who has continued to contribute to the ongoing expenses of San Antonio Church by mailing in their weekly envelopes or by contributing electronically utilizing WeShare . The buttons below allow you to make an online donation directly to the listed account for San Antonio Church.

Weekly Bulletin

by Terrie Evans

On Sunday, June 14th we celebrated the feast on St. Anthony on Corpus Christi Sunday.  As a  yearly tradition, we offered St. Anthony Bread  on our patron saint’s feast day  as a way to collect alms toward the many good the works of the Franciscan Order.  This year we were able to present $120.00 from the St. Anthony Bread to Fr. Frank Jasper  of the Franciscan Order on Sunday, July 5th.   The Franciscans  came to our church in the very early years  right after the establishment of San Antonio Italian Church in 1922.  The first member of the order to faithfully serve San Antonio  in 1928 was Fr. Claude Mindorff  (1889-1936)  who went on to serve parishes in Southfield, Michigan until his passing at age 47.  By October of that year, Archbishop John T. McNicholas officially placed San Antonio Church under the care of the Franciscan Order.  From that time, our church prospered and grew under the direction of  the many good Franciscan Fathers who came to us.  Our Italian American Families were administered to by over 16 Franciscans from 1928 until the time we became part of St. Leo Parish and then Holy Family Parish. 

Some of those dedicated men of the Franciscan Order who are part of the history of San Antonio and we will be indebted to them always were:   Rev. Dennis Engelhard, Rev. Joseph Klein, Rev. Edwin Auweiler, Rev. Bernard Frank “Fr. Mathias” Heile (1896-1960), Rev.  Fr.  Ferdinand Nirmaier (1901-1963),  Rev. Caesar Kron (1884-1957)  Rev. Edward Leary, Rev. Aurelain Munch, Rev. David Hiller, Rev. Carol Meyer, Rev. Emmet Rothan, Rev. Jordan Tellies, Fr. Victorian Ostmeyer, and Rev. Bennet Rothan until the 1970’s.  They were attached to the  St. John the Baptist Friary.  In their memory, we donate the funds from the St. Anthony Bread to the new group of Franciscans who say Mass for us when their schedule allows.  We appreciate Fr. Frank Jasper and Fr. Bill Ferris and the roster of priests  who celebrate Mass with us on Sundays. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

For security, use of Google's reCAPTCHA service is required which is subject to the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

I agree to these terms.