News from San Antonio Church – August 21, 2022

We would like to thank everyone who has continued to contribute to the ongoing expenses of San Antonio Church by mailing in their weekly envelopes or by contributing electronically utilizing WeShare . The buttons at the bottom of this post allow you to make online donations directly to the listed account for San Antonio Church.

Weekly Bulletin August 21, 2022

by Terrie Evans

On the 1st weekend in August, San Antonio celebrated the 100th Anniversary of the founding of the church without one of our most loyal parishioners, Roy Romelli, who became ill and went into Hospice a few days before his passing on Sunday, August 7, 2022, the day we missed his presence on this milestone.  Roy worked on our 100th Anniversary Celebrations held every month with daughter Lisa (Romelli) Gillman, brother and talented artist Pat Romelli and nieces LuAnn and Gina Roberto and Tina (Roberto) Kroeger.  He enjoyed greeting those families with ties to our church and the old neighborhood.  Roy grew up in South Fairmount, the son of Joseph and Caroline (Bonaventura) Romelli with siblings sister, Fern (Romelli) Roberto and brother Pat Romelli, all longtime members of San Antonio Church.  Roy and his late wife Barbara (Spicer) Romelli were wed in 1956 and celebrated 46 years of marriage before her passing in 2002.  Roy and Barbara were longtime San Antonio Church Parishioners and active in the Men’s and Ladies Club while assisting his late sister, Fern (Romelli) Roberto when she was President of the Club.  He worked tirelessly over the years at the many tasks for all our fundraisers and attended all the 1st Friday of the month meetings while helping the kitchen crew for our “Lunch on the House “and all the many fundraisers held over the years. 

Roy grew up among great cooks in a neighborhood rich in extended families, gardens, grape arbors, and homemade wine.  He could handle any job and had a reputation for making any dish better especially mashed potatoes.  He was known for preparing wonderful meals.  A few of Roy’s recipes listed in the” Mangia “Cookbook are Veal Piccata – Page 34, Stuffed Chicken Breasts with White Wine – page 38 and Nova in Purgatorio (Eggs in Purgatory) – page 51.  Roy was considered a friend to every parishioner at San Antonio Church and had very good friends from the “Harley Guys” motorcycle club who served as escorts to his resting place while playing favorite tunes for his last ride.  Roy was an Army Veteran who joined those motorcyclists for the “Rolling Thunder Ride” every year to Washington, D. C. in honor of all Veterans.  Besides all his church friends, he had a group who would meet him at Patrick’s Bar and Grill on his way home after working out at the Mercy Healthplex.  Roy leaves children, Angela Baker, Lisa Gillman, Nicola Burgun, Maria Halton, Joseph, Louis, spouses and their families.  Grandfather of 15; Roy’s funeral Mass was held at San Antonio Church on Saturday, August 13, 2022, with Fr. Ralph Westerhoff officiating.   

Another Parishioner from long ago who had recently passed away on June 10, 2022, was Frank Moore at age 92.  Frank “Mousie” Moore was active in the Men’s Club along with his late brother Don Moore (1931-2020) and as an officer in the Club when Fr. Bennet was our Pastor and was present during the Golden Jubilee Celebration in 1972.    Frank was born in 1929 to the late Louis (1896-1980) and Josephine (Roberto) Moore (1901-1986) residents from Little Italy known for their gardens.  Frank’s siblings besides Don were Joseph (1920-1988), John (1924-1995), and Anthony (1922-1997).  Frank married the late Arline Garthaus on October 31, 1950 and welcomed Nancy (Steve) Gruen and Connie (Paul) Wagoner and many Grandchildren.  We send our condolences and prayers to the Romelli and Moore/Morra Families.

News from San Antonio Church – August 14, 2022

We would like to thank everyone who has continued to contribute to the ongoing expenses of San Antonio Church by mailing in their weekly envelopes or by contributing electronically utilizing WeShare . The buttons at the bottom of this post allow you to make online donations directly to the listed account for San Antonio Church.

Weekly Bulletin August 14, 2022

by Terrie Evans

Our San Antonio Church Community celebrated their milestone anniversary with a family picnic last week on Saturday, August 6th and a wonderful Mass on Sunday, August 7th with our Archbishop, Dennis Schnurr.  Our celebration began last year in August 2021 when the first group of descendants from the original founding families were invited for a Mass and Reception in our Hall to remember and honor their contributions they made toward the start of our church.   We had a fantastic turnout on that 1st Sunday in August and every month since then brought back many generations of early family members to reintroduce our little church that when it was founded and dedicated in 1922, as San Antonio National Italian Parish.  Many of our great grandparents and grandparents were then living in the Little Italy section of South Fairmount raising large families with the first-generation Americans of Italian descent.  These members of those founding families of our church sent their pictures for the posters to be displayed on their Family Sunday.  Throughout the year from 2021-2022, those posters would be shown in the Hall at San Antonio Church and then stored for the final celebration at a Church Picnic to be held at Maple Ridge Lodge the day before our 100th Anniversary Mass.   

On Saturday, August 6, 2022, over 300 family members with ties to San Antonio Church shared connections with each other while enjoying wedding, family reunion and photos showing the following generations of those early immigrants, some dating to the late 1890’s.  The beautifully done posters of those families tell the stories of the early settlement of the Italian Community in South Fairmount who had journeyed from small towns and remote villages such as Felitto, Potenza or Rocadespiede in Southern Italy.  The pictures introduced many of us to the stories that were never told but, their faces showed the joy of arriving in a country full of possibilities as they celebrated their wedding day and the start of a new life.  They struggled to get here and lived very hard lives, but they all had one thing in common, their devotion to their Catholic Faith and each other.  They were living within the boundaries of South Fairmount known as a community of farms, factories, with two schools that served the students – Central Fairmount Elementary and St. Bonnies Catholic School.   Many of the parents were not given the opportunity to attend school so an education and receiving the Sacraments were what they dreamed for their children.  The posters told all those stories of accomplishment and successes within their families, the neighborhood and church.  Our 100th Anniversary celebration Picnic and Mass was a success, and we are proud of all the volunteers who made it happen. We have done what our ancestors would want us to do, and we will never forget the generations of generous selfless individuals who held our church deep in their hearts and gave everything they had to keep it going.   We are thankful to all our past and present San Antonio Church families for sharing their family stories with us, we are forever grateful.

News from San Antonio Church – August 7, 2022

We would like to thank everyone who has continued to contribute to the ongoing expenses of San Antonio Church by mailing in their weekly envelopes or by contributing electronically utilizing WeShare . The buttons at the bottom of this post allow you to make online donations directly to the listed account for San Antonio Church.

Weekly Bulletin August 7, 2022

by Terrie Evans

On this Sunday, San Antonio Church celebrates a milestone, the 100th Anniversary as we welcome the original family groups who have been honored throughout the year.  We are also thrilled to see our many Friends of San Antonio Supporters who have helped us maintain our church.  Everyone in attendance is ecstatic and humbled to attend a Mass celebrated by His Excellency, The Most Reverend Dennis Marion Schnurr, Archbishop of Cincinnati.  Today, we remember those family members who are no longer with us but on this day, we can feel their presence.  We are also honored to welcome Rev. Jason Williams (Vice Chancellor- Master of Ceremony) Rev. Len Wenke, Rev. Rudy Coaquira Hilage and our beloved Sisters of Charity from the Order of Sr. Blandina Segale, Servant of God.  This is the first visit by Archbishop Schnurr to San Antonio Church since he was chosen to lead the Archdiocese which includes the Cincinnati and Dayton metro areas. 

Our Archbishop is a descendant from the members of the Schnurr and Jungers families who were early settlers to Iowa, the Hawkeye State, known for agriculture.  Dennis Marion Schnurr was born in Sheldon, Iowa to the late Edward William and Eleanor Lena (Jungers) Schnurr with siblings, 2 brothers and 3 sisters.   Sheldon, Iowa known to locals as “Where Family Comes First “ is located on the Floyd River, a tributary of the Missouri River.  The town was founded in 1873 after the establishment of the Sioux City and St Paul Railroad now having a population of 5,000.  Archbishop Schnurr attended Spalding Catholic High School in Granville, Iowa about 3 miles from Sheldon and 2 miles from Hospers, Iowa where the Schnurr Family would later relocate.  The Schnurr Family became members of The St. Anthony Church in Hospers, which is now part of The Pilgrim Cluster along with St. Joseph and St. Mary Church.  The Archbishop then attended Loras College (Motto: For God and Country) in Dubuque, Iowa, where he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in 1970.  The private Catholic Institution   has many distinguished Alumni, including 30 Bishops.  He studied for the Priesthood at the Pontificial Gregorian University in Rome where he earned his Master of Theology Degree and was Ordained on July 20, 1974. 

After his Ordination, Archbishop Schnurr became Associate Pastor at the Cathedral of the Epiphany in Sioux City, Iowa until 1977 when he went on to Blessed Sacrament Church in Sioux City, Iowa.  He did his Graduate Studies in Washington D.C. at the Catholic University of America in 1980, where he received his Doctorate of Cannon Law. He was then assigned to the Staff of the Apostolic Nunciature in n Washington, D.C. in 1985 and served as Associate General Secretary of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB).   He held many positions supervising departments dealing with Education, Domestic and International Social Policy, and Communications.  From 1991-1993, Archbishop Schnurr was appointed the National Executive Director of World Youth Day 1993 in Denver, Colorado while working closely with Pope St. John Paul II.  He became the 8th Bishop of Duluth, Minnesota on January 18, 2001, and Co-Adjutor Archbishop of Cincinnati on October 17, 2008. His Excellency, The Most Reverend Dennis Schnurr has been the Archbishop of Cincinnati since December 21, 2009.

            We are very grateful to Archbishop Dennis M. Schnurr, Rev. Jason Williams, Rev. Len Wenke, and Rev. Rudy Coaquira Hilage, for The Concelebration Mass on our 100th Anniversary and we are all pleased that you will be added to the history of San Antonio Church.  Grazie a tutti.

News from San Antonio Church – July 31, 2022

We would like to thank everyone who has continued to contribute to the ongoing expenses of San Antonio Church by mailing in their weekly envelopes or by contributing electronically utilizing WeShare . The buttons at the bottom of this post allow you to make online donations directly to the listed account for San Antonio Church.

Weekly Bulletin July 31, 2022

by Terrie Evans

In 1922, when San Antonio Church was established, the population of Cincinnati was 401,247 in a city that rests along 22 miles of riverfront on the banks of the Ohio River extending from the East Side, California (East of Lunken Field); to Saylor Park on the West Side.  Cincinnati was settled in 1788, located at a junction of the North, South, East and West and incorporated as a city in 1819.  The Diocese of Cincinnati was established on June 19, 1821 and at that time, included several thousand Native American Catholics along with European Settlers and the entire state of Ohio as well as the Michigan Territory.  By 1850, many Irish and German immigrants came to Cincinnati for work that eventually relieved the massive labor shortage.  This is when the city became known as the Queen City.  In 1859, Cincinnati laid out 6 Streetcar lines pulled by horses and by 1889 the Streetcar system began converting to Electric Streetcars.  When our ancestors settled in South Fairmount, they learned that Cincinnati was known as the “City of 7 Hills”, said to resemble ancient Rome also built on 7 Hills.  The Seven Hills that form a Crescent shape around the city are:  Mt. Adams, Walnut Hills, Mt. Auburn, Vine Street Hill, College Hill, Fairmount, and Mt. Harrison now Price Hill.  

Many families soon learned their new home country was also a city of many firsts.  The Cincinnati Fire Department was the first paid professional Fire Department in the United States and Cincinnati was also the first city to establish a Weather Bureau.  Cincinnati is home to the Oldest Public Observatory and the first Ambulance Service.  The residents in 1922 witnessed the Cincinnati Subway breaking ground for the $6 million job that was never completed.  The Cincinnati Opera was established along with the founding of the Le Blond Aircraft Engine Corporation in Norwood.  Newspapers printed in 1922:  The Catholic Telegraph founded in 1831, the 1st Diocesan Newspaper and 2nd oldest in the United States; The Cincinnati Enquirer established in 1841, Cincinnati Daily Times (1843-1948), Cincinnati Times Star (1883-1958), Cincinnati Weekly Times (1883-1986), and Cincinnati Commercial Tribune (1896-1958). 

In 1922, our country had many firsts when the United States was only 146 years old; insulin was used for the first time to treat diabetes in humans.  The United States commissioned its 1st Aircraft Carrier, and a Trade Agreement between Italy and Russia was established.  The Government of Italy resigns with Benito Mussolini forming his own Government and making himself Premier.  The 19th Amendment (Women’s Right to Vote) is upheld by the Supreme Court and the Lincoln Memorial is dedicated.  The 29th President of the United States, President Warren G. Harding (1865-1923) was the 1st President to use the Radio while in the White House and in England, the BBC began broadcasting news.  On July 1, 1922 – August 1922, the Nationwide Great Railroad Strike also known as the Railway Shopman’s Strike started when workers walked off the job due a cut in wages.  The 400,000 railway workers including 100,000 in Chicago alone left their jobs over a 12% pay cut (7 cents).     

By 1922, there were numerous Churches, Convents, Academy’s, Hospitals, Monastery’s, Orphanages, Schools and Homes for the Aged serving the Catholic Community within the Archdiocese of Cincinnati.   At that time, a Belgian-born American Catholic Priest, Emmanuel Thienpont became a pioneer of Parish Organization for the Archdiocese of Cincinnati.  The many established Religious Communities within the Archdiocese owe their presence to a prominent Catholic Convert, Sarah Worthington King Peter who relocated many Sisters from Europe to Cincinnati.  The year 1922 was a milestone year for many of our family members with the founding of our church.  As we celebrate our 100th Anniversary on August 7, 2022, we can now add San Antonio Church to the list of historical events.

News from San Antonio Church – July 24, 2022

We would like to thank everyone who has continued to contribute to the ongoing expenses of San Antonio Church by mailing in their weekly envelopes or by contributing electronically utilizing WeShare . The buttons at the bottom of this post allow you to make online donations directly to the listed account for San Antonio Church.

Weekly Bulletin July 24, 2022

by Terrie Evans

San Antonio Church welcomes new and Holy Family Parish families to our 9:00 AM Sunday Mass due to the change in Mass schedules.  Holy Family Church is a big part of the history of Price Hill dates to 1884 with the founding of their church. At that time,  Price Hill became a popular destination for families after the floods of 1883 and 1884 after many left their homes in the valley to settle on higher areas of the city.  Price Hill today is now considered as one of the oldest outlying settlements of Cincinnati.  The population grew with German , Irish and Welsh Catholic Families who relocated to enjoy the lush grounds and clean air on top of a hill that was serviced by the 2nd Incline in the city of Cincinnati , started in 1874 by John and William Price.  The Incline, one for passengers and the other for freight would bring thousands of Cincinnatians to the Price Hill House and Pavilion.  Also located on the Hill was the all-girls school St, Vincent Academy established by the Sisters of Charity in 1854 that would years later become Seton High School.  

The new Catholics coming to Price Hill started to attend Mass at St. Lawrence Church, founded in 1868, that soon became overcrowded with the new residents.  Archbishop William Henry Elder agreed for the establishment of a new parish with a committee meeting with 4 possible names being considered.  Those coming up for votes were St. Alphonsus, St. Leo, Holy Family or St. Cecilia with Holy Family being picked on the second round of voting.  The dedication for the new parish took place on August 24, 1884 with the 1st Pastor, John Menke (1852-1897) presiding over the 1st Baptism, Michael Tracy, the 1st Funeral was for Richard Cleary and the 1st Wedding celebrated for Joseph Berry to Caroline Schmidt.  The 1st Communion Class consisted of William Hogan, Henry Moening, Théodore Lichtenstein, and Frank Nordhaus with Archbishop William Elder confirming 23 parishioners.  The 1st Holy Family School was established with a total enrollment of 30 taught by the Sisters of Charity living at Cedar Grove (Seton High School).  They came to school every morning in a Conestoga Wagon (horse drawn carriage) and took the children on field trips to the Cincinnati Zoo traveling in a brewery wagon.   By January 1900, the debt of the church, $8,060.61 was paid in full and a proposed addition to the church and school buildings was introduced. 

The area around Holy Family Parish grew and by 1911, 540 families were members of the church.  By 1914, another 227 families were parishioners and with a total of 767 families a new church was in the next phase with school enrollment reaching 473 with 9 Sisters of Charity at the school.  On Trinity Sunday on June 18, 1916, the new church designed by J. F. Sheblessey was dedicated by Most Reverend Henry Moeller that would hold 760.   The Firsts in the new church:  First Baptism:  Florence Elizabeth Brindley, First Marriage:  Carl George Weber to Martha Elizabeth Mechlenborg and the 1st Confirmation for 81 boys, 70 girls, 2 men and 5 women of the parish.    In 1934, the 50th Anniversary was celebrated along with the first recorded Festival was a milestone in the history of Holy Family.    Parishioners were asked to donate 65 ounces of gold, 65 ounces of silver, and small and large precious stones for a one-of-a-kind Monstrance crafted by Andrew Messmer & Company. 

On December 6, 1959, a solemn High Mass was celebrated for the 75th Anniversary and a farewell reception for Fr. Kuhn.  The Centennial 100th took place in June 1983 with a Homecoming Festival, a Parish Day at the Reds Game and a Holy Family Parish Picnic.  During the years 1988-89, Holy Family Parish merged with Our Lady of Grace and Our Lady of Perpetual Help and in 1994, St. Michael Church in Lower Price Hill became a Chapel of Holy Family until it closed.  In 1998, their statue of St. Michael found a new honorable home when it was placed in the Memorial Garden at Holy Family.  In January 2005, the Spanish Ministry began a prayer group and soon, Mass was celebrated on Sunday’s in Spanish.  Holy Family Parish celebrated their 125th Anniversary in June 2008 with a Mass and Dinner.  In 2010, Holy Family Parish agreed to align with San Antonio Church under the direction of Fr. Jim Kiffmeyer and then Fr. Len Wenke, who is now assigned to a parish in Dayton, Ohio with Fr. Rudy now assigned to Holy Family.  We welcome Rev. Rodolfo (Rudy) Coaquira Hilajie, a Peruvian Carboni Missionary.  Fr. Rudy was the Parochial Vicar of St. Leo and St. Boniface Parishes before coming to Holy Family Church.  Holy Family Parish will celebrate their 140th Anniversary in June 2023!

News from San Antonio Church – July 17, 2022

We would like to thank everyone who has continued to contribute to the ongoing expenses of San Antonio Church by mailing in their weekly envelopes or by contributing electronically utilizing WeShare . The buttons at the bottom of this post allow you to make online donations directly to the listed account for San Antonio Church.

Weekly Bulletin July 17, 2022

by Terrie Evans

The history of St. Bonaventure School and Parish dates to the time when early settlers from the East established an area in the community known as “Lick Run.”  There were 20 German Catholic Families, mostly farmers who inquired to Archbishop John Purcell about establishing a parish to serve their community.  A Franciscan, Fr. William Untertheimer, a German speaking Priest, was chosen to setup the new church on property donated the John Weber Family.  A small stone one room building was erected and dedicated as St. Peters in an area that would become known as Petersburg.  At that time, this new church was one of only 5 Catholic Churches in Hamilton County with the young Franciscan, Fr. Unterheiner traveling on horseback from Holy Trinity, on West 5th Street to St, Peter’s while serving as circuit rider.  With growing families, the church became the schoolhouse during the week with students from St. Mary’s Seminary in Price Hill teaching Bible History and Catholic Doctrine.  By 1850, the 2-story school building was completed on the property next to St. Peter’s Church to accommodate the now 60 students.    

By 1862, the Franciscan Fathers of St. John and St.  Frances Churches were in charge of St. Peter’s and knew the area of Lick Run was in need of a new school and church which was easily approved Archbishop, John Baptist Purcell By 1868, property was purchased on Queen City Avenue for a rectory and church that would eventually merge with St. Peter’s.  St. Bonaventure Church, established in 1869 at a cost of $50,000 with a seating capacity of 550.  In 1871, a school building was planned for the needs of the growing population of German Catholics residents who attended St. Bonnies in an agriculture area known for farms, breweries dairies, carpenters, stonecutters, and blacksmiths.  By the early 1900’s enrollment had overwhelmed the 1st school building and in 1908 a new school was dedicated for the eager 600 children who were ready to start the new school year in the 12 large rooms on three floors.  St. Bonnies provided many good memories for all who attended the neighborhood school and were taught and mentored by the dedicated and talented women and men religious from various religious sects.

The Religious Orders who served the school until its closing were the Franciscan Fathers, Sisters of St. Francis (Oldenburg), Sisters of St. Francis (Mishawaka), Ursuline Sisters, Sisters of Notre Dame, Sisters of Charity, Sisters of Mercy, Benedictine Sisters, and those Visitation Nuns.  Many of our past of San Antonio Parishioners attended   the school took part in the School Band, Cub Scouts, and Girl Scouts.  Many have memories of the 3-lane bowling alley that was a big hit in the neighborhood for the many San Antonio boys had jobs as pin setters.  San Antonio Parish Graduates:  From the Class of 1943, Frank Serraino, class of 1945, Buddy LaRosa, and Fr.  Fred Serraino, Class of 1952, Carmella (Serraino) Berger, Mary Lou (Stevens) Russo, Class of 1953, Phyliss (Delseno) Spade Class of 1955, Mary Ann (LaCortiglia) Brock, Linda (Delseno) Panaro, Nancy (Hasenhor) Yankoviak,  C lass of 1962, Dennis Gardner, Anna (Belfiore) Davis, Alana (Murvine) Rudemiller, Class of 1963, Linda (Suddendorf) Stoecklin, Linda (Stoll) Kelsey, Class of 1964, Janet (Suddendorf)  Steinle, Class of 1965 Lena (Belfiore) Huff and the Class of 1973, Aristide Belfiore.  Other parishioners who attended St. Bonnie’s are Joe Cupito, Donna (D’Angelo) Smith, Vince Cerchio, and  Rita (Schiesz) Miller.

There is a St. Bonnies Reunion held every year in the Fall for all classes.  This year the reunion is scheduled for Saturday, September 24, 2022, in the Hall at San Antonio.

News from San Antonio Church – July 10, 2022

We would like to thank everyone who has continued to contribute to the ongoing expenses of San Antonio Church by mailing in their weekly envelopes or by contributing electronically utilizing WeShare . The buttons at the bottom of this post allow you to make online donations directly to the listed account for San Antonio Church.

Weekly Bulletin July 10, 2022

by Terrie Evans

On this Sunday, San Antonio Church welcomes La Societa Fuscaldese Femminile, their members and guests for a Mass and Reception to honor their patron Saint, San Francesco.  Many in attendance this morning were originally from Fuscaldo, a hilltop town that dates to 589 A. D. with a population of 8,164.  The area is well known for San Francesco Di Paola and the many pilgrims who make the journey to visit the Sanctuary and Shrine which contains relics with documented miracles.  In honor of his feast day (July 15th) a special breakfast and program is held to pay homage to him by the La Societa Fuscaldese Femminile.  Their organization was started after the men’s only La Societa Fuscaldese Maschili was formed in the 1930’s for those who emigrated from Fuscaldo, Italy.  Every July, this group of men and their descendants gathered at Gutzwiller’s Grove to celebrate their new life in a new home.

The La Fuscaldese Maschili Society celebrated at picnic’s, parties, and worked to donate monetary   aid back to the villages they left behind.  The original men’s group was active for over 70 years until they disbanded in 2002.  After that, the women’ s service organization La Societa Fuscaldo Femminile was established for their families and the next generations of proud Italian Americans to pass on their traditions from the “Old Country”.  These women and their families we welcome at Mass and a reception on this morning support our church and the fundraisers at Sacred Heart Italian Church in Camp Washington. 

We are all honored to be part of your celebration!  San Antonio Church is also pleased to have parishioners from the Mazzei Family who have been loyal members of our church for many years.   Janet (Mazzei) Reiff and Connie (Mazzei) Dalessandro are dedicated volunteers who are descendants of an original and well known Fuscaldese family.  Their father was Natale Mazzei (1904-1997) who emigrated to America when he was 16 years old in 1919.  In the 1920 census, Natale was living on Main Street with Salvatore Mazzei, Carmine Mazzei, and his mother Concetta Mazzei.  In the 1940 census, Natale was a Naturalized Citizen living at 1330 Spring Street, employed as a Tailor and owned his own home.  Natale was first married to Lena Carusone (Caruso) and in the 1950 census, Natale was then wed to Antoinette Sansone until her untimely death in 1954.  Natale Mazzei would later marry Mary Francis (Vilardi) born in Fuscaldo, Italy who would later become a much-cherished mom to their 9 children until she passed in 2009.  The Mazzei siblings have many relatives from the Carusone, Sansone and Vilardi families with many talented seamstresses and tailors among them.  The Mazzei siblings consist of five sisters and four brothers, Theresa, Connie, Pina, Janet, Joan, Michael, Joe, the late James (1939-1998) and Frank (1959-2019) who are all part of the rich history of Italian families who settled in Cincinnati.   

Our San Antonio Church Community thanks Pompilios for supplying the Brunch and we appreciate the volunteers who prepared and served the morning breakfast.  Thank you to Chuck Bailey, Earl Einhaus, Vic Minella, Phil and Dave Sabatelli, Ron Dalessandro and especially Mike Reiff who has been here every Sunday to handle the extra malfunctions and jobs that turn up on a weekly basis.

News from San Antonio Church – July 3, 2022

We would like to thank everyone who has continued to contribute to the ongoing expenses of San Antonio Church by mailing in their weekly envelopes or by contributing electronically utilizing WeShare . The buttons at the bottom of this post allow you to make online donations directly to the listed account for San Antonio Church.

Weekly Bulletin July 3, 2022

by Terrie Evans

San Antonio Church Parishioners will never forget those generous benefactors who have no familial ties to our church but have worked with us to keep our church open for Sunday Mass, Rosary and Communion Service, and Our Lunch on the House Program.   They are Beth and Bill Burwinkel, Bernice and the late Will Feldmann (1933-2021), James Mathews, Margaret and Joseph Seta.       

Everyone who attends our church is very grateful to the roster of visiting priests whose dedication to us and the needs of San Antonio are much appreciated.  They are:   Our Pastor, Fr. Len Wenke, Fr. Bill Ferris, Fr. Frank Jasper, Fr. Eric Knapp, Fr. Joe Folzenlogen, Fr. Pat McCloskey, Fr. Paul Ruwe, Fr. Mike Savino, Fr. Ralph Westerhoff, Fr. Harry Meyer, and the late Fr. Donald McCarthy (1930-2018).  They have not only celebrated Sunday Mass but, they have made themselves available for Baptisms, Weddings, and Funerals as they continued to serve at other churches.   Our church community is excited that they are part of the history of San Antonio Church and our 100th Anniversary.  

            In the history of our church, San Antonio had separate organizations for the ladies, The St. Ann’s Married Ladies Society, and the Men’s Club for the gentlemen of the Parish.  The two were combined for the members to work together on many projects and events.  At present, the officers of the Men’s and Ladies Club are President, Dave Sabatelli, Vice President, Connie (Mazzei) Dalessandro, Treasurer, Vic Minella, and Secretary, Rose (Sabatelli) Einhaus. They have worked many hours on the milestone 100th Anniversary and planning the 1st of the Month Family receptions to honor those early founding family groups. 

Every Tuesday, San Antonio Church welcomes everyone to our Rosary and Communion Service.  The group that meets every Tuesday is   Jeanine Bertram, Mary Ann Capano, Betty Hartman, Linda (Stoll) Kelsey, Mary Ann Lander, Monnie Milazzo, Rita (Schiesz) Miller, Tony (Palmieri) Minges, Dottie Pollard, Janet (Suddendorf) Steinle, Linda (Suddendorf) Stoecklin and Ken Stoll.  They set aside those Tuesdays not only to pray the Rosary and receive Communion but to include all those extra prayers needed for our church community.  We appreciate this dedicated group who relays those special intentions beyond our San Antonio Church Parish.   

            The group of volunteers that were not mentioned in previous bulletins but who are here on Sundays to open the doors, set up the Hall, bake the bread, get the church ready, and clean up the debris and litter around the church.  Those “Steady Enders” are Vic and Marilyn Minella, Harry and Linda (Delseno) Panaro, Janet (Mazzei) and Mike Reiff, Rita (Schiesz) Miller, Bill and Terrie Evans.  Our church is run on all volunteer effort to keep everything running smoothly.  In the past almost 100 years, San Antonio Church has had a legacy of selfless workers from every founding family who are today still attending our church. 

We are unique, as all of us have a connection to the founding of the church and the neighborhood of South Fairmount that was filled with hard working new citizen families trying to achieve the American dream.  All of us are proud of where we came from and where are grandparents and parents came from.  It was not an easy journey for them, and we were excited to hear their stories and share them with each other.  Thank God they crossed an ocean and took a chance on a new life full of unknowns.  They were proud to be Americans.  We know they came here for all of us!  Happy Independence Day on the 246th Birthday of our Country!

News from San Antonio Church – June 26, 2022

We would like to thank everyone who has continued to contribute to the ongoing expenses of San Antonio Church by mailing in their weekly envelopes or by contributing electronically utilizing WeShare . The buttons at the bottom of this post allow you to make online donations directly to the listed account for San Antonio Church.

Weekly Bulletin June 26, 2022

by Terrie Evans

On Sunday, July 3rd, our San Antonio Church Community will hold a reception in our Hall to honor those dedicated present-day members who celebrate Mass with us every Sunday.  We have welcomed new parishioners in the last 20 years such as Richard “Dick” Linnemann who designed a new gate for the church after his good friend, Guy Langenbrunner erected the new brick enclosure.  Dick has helped us out many times when our fence was damaged due to out-of-control drivers.    Dick, a descendant of 2nd Great Grandfather, Carriage maker, John Linnemann (1820-1901) originally from Hanover, Germany.  Dick’s Great Grandfather, Bernard H. Linnemann (1849-1933), a manufacturer in the Auto Industry, was known for using an old Ford chassis to build the 1st station wagon used at the Western Hills Country Club.  Dick’s father, Richard J. Linnemann (1905-1980) became a legend in the boat racing circles inventing gadgets for hydroplanes and reconstructing houseboats built a one-of-a-kind desk for Syd Nathan of King Records.  Father, Richard J. and son, Richard B. “Dick” Linnemann worked on projects at Sterling Industries for the Lookout House, Hueston Woods and many local restaurants where their signature paneling, chandeliers and decorations can be found.  Presently, Sterling Industries is known for Metal, Plastics and Wood Fabrications.  Our dedicated parishioner, Dick Linnemann married his wife Carol Moeschl at Our Lady of Lourdes Church on August 31, 1957, celebrating 65 years in 2022.  Their family consists of daughters, Tammi, Donna, and son Richard.

We also remember longtime parishioner Jim Schulter and his late wife Sandy (1943-2016) who were a big part of the history of San Antonio Church.   Jim’s sister Fran (Schulter) Acito was married to the late Joe Acito (1945-2011) and is a good friend of Jack and Pam (Acito) Baker.  Jim is now at Bayley Place.                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

San Antonio Church parishioners for 15 years, Frank Perrotta and Deanne “Dee” Gardonio introduced our church community to the legend of San Francisco de Paola, their much-revered saint born in Paola, Italy in 1416.  We have learned of the saint’s healing powers and the importance of his Feast Day, July 15th.  Frank has become the caretaker of the beautiful carved wood likeness of the saint while designing and adorning San Francesco with the gold Charitas crown.  Frank has also   donated a beautiful 18 carat gold chain with a St. Anthony Pendant for our 100t Anniversary Raffle.  Frank and Dee have volunteered at Lunch on the House, Palm Sunday Bake Sales, and Annual Spaghetti Dinners.  Dee has become well known to our priests as the coffee cake baker for her homemade treats she has gifted them over the years.      

A lifelong church member from the Studt Family, Sandy (Studt) Schroeder has been a supporter of San Antonio Church and a volunteer at our twice monthly Lunch on the House noontime meals.  Sandy’s parents are Bob and the late Louise (Marckesano) Studt (1930-2017) with siblings, sister Debbie, and brother Bill.  Sandy has two sons John and Rob with husband Carl Stoecklin.

Angela Crovetti has been a member of the Men’s and Ladies Club as an Officer, served and scheduled student helpers at the Spaghetti Dinners, and supported the yearly Pizza Party and Palm Sunday Bake Sales.  She dutifully brought Panera bread, bagels, cookies, and many delicious baked goods for our Lunch on the House Program for many years.  Our guests were very appreciative for all the extra goodies Angela brought to the Hall for them to enjoy.

A few years ago, we welcomed Dan and Melissa (Morrissey) Minella, part of the large Minella Family. Dan and son Christiaan have attended Mass regularly and have made many family connections with other San Antonio Parishioners.  Dan’s parents were Alfred (Daggy) Emil (1913-1970) and Dorothy Elizabeth (Maguire) Minella (1918-2013) and grandparents were Sabato Minella (1875-1956) and Philomena (Sciarti) Minella (1884-1950).   Son, Christiaan Minella, a graduate of The University of Notre Dame   wed Andrea Alkire on June 4, 2021, and just celebrated their 1st Anniversary. Congratulations! 

A new parishioner joining San Antonio Church 9 years is George “Yotz” Purtell who was married to the late Freda Louise (Perkins) Purtell (1945-2015) originally from Montcalm, West Virginia.  Freda was popular Waitress at Camp Washington Chili when they lived in the area and attended Mass at Sacred Heart Church before moving to Westwood.   George “Yotz’s enjoys making new friends and became a good friend to Fr. Earl Fernandes (now Bishop of the Diocese of Columbus) who officiated at Freda’s Funeral Mass.  George shares his love of all sports, Bengals. Reds, Horseracing and Bingo with daughter Donna, son-in-law Tim Gregory and granddaughters, Rebecca, Sylvia, and Jessica.  

Parishioner, Joe Yoshimura a transplant from Chicago has become a regular at our 9:00AM Sunday Mass.   Joe came to Cincinnati to attend Xavier University and went on to teach in the CPS schools for over 35 years winning Teacher of the Year at Walnut Hills High School in 1998.  Joe was also and a well-respected High School Basketball Referee for 27 years.  Joe and wife Martha have been married for 21 years 3 children and 7 grandchildren.  

A new family to San Antonio Church the Gregg and Lisa Ellerhorst Family including children Virginia, Ashley, Rob, Will and Audrey.   Gregg’s parents the late Robert (1928-2008) and much-loved teacher at Our lady of Visitation School, Marian (Reck) Ellerhorst (1928-2020).   Gregg’s siblings, Jan, Julie, Cindy, Gary, Pete, and Brian. 

San Antonio was happy to welcome   Carol (Charters) Frey, friend of Mary Ann and Joe Cupito as a parishioner.  The Cupito’s introduced her to San Antonio Church after the passing of her husband of 40 years, Paul “Hans” Frey, an Elder teacher for 37 years and Basketball Coach for 22 years where there is a Memorial Court dedicated in his honor.  Besides supporting our church, Carol has been doing volunteer work at the St. Lawrence School library.  

Our newest family to join our church is the Steinriede Family: Henny, Eleanor, Salina, Devon, and Jesse who attended Mass with us on Sunday’s.  The Steinriede’s have been residents of South Fairmount since the 1800’s with their descendants strong supporters of St. Bonnie’s Church and School.   The late Steinriede Patriarchs were James, Harry, and Jerome.  Denny Gardner’s friend was the late Harry Steinriede Jr. (1948-2014) his classmate at St. Bonnie’s School and his lifelong friend until his passing.

News from San Antonio Church – June 19, 2022

We would like to thank everyone who has continued to contribute to the ongoing expenses of San Antonio Church by mailing in their weekly envelopes or by contributing electronically utilizing WeShare . The buttons at the bottom of this post allow you to make online donations directly to the listed account for San Antonio Church.

Weekly Bulletin June 19, 2022

by Terrie Evans

As we get closer to the 100th Anniversary of our church, we recall the parishioners who have had no prior history to South Fairmount or any of our parish families.  One couple is Paul and Mary Louise (Timpe) Unverzagt.  Paul (1922-1985) and Mary Lou came to San Antonio Church around 1980 and after Paul’s passing, Mary Lou continued as a   parishioner for the next 27 years until the time of her death in 2012.  Paul was from a prominent Evansville, Indiana family, graduated from the University of Notre Dame, and served in the military during World War II.  Mary Lou (Timpe) Unverzagt grew up on Robert Avenue and moved to Clifton where she met Paul while he was taking classes at UC.   After Paul’s passing, Mary Lou attended Sunday Mass and volunteered every Monday in the Office at Holy Family as a counter for the Holy Family and San Antonio Sunday collections.  Mary Lou was very generous and donated large sums of money for our White Street Hall awning and the brick enclosure to protect our air conditioners.  Mary Lou was a part of our big San Antonio Parish family, and we still miss her. 

We also remember another couple, Fred, and Dixie (Klemme) Brandewiede (1940-2021) who shared a lot of San Antonio history with us as they supported our church and all our fundraisers.  Everyone from our church family will never forget Dixie’s beautiful welcoming smile.  We are still happy to see Fred Brandewiede at Sunday Mass and hear the latest news about his family, sons Mark and Matthew, daughter Melissa and his 6 Grandchildren.    

A San Antonio Church member who has become a part of our lives is Dennis Gardner who grew up in South Fairmount, attended St. Bonnies, graduated from Roger Bacon, and served in the Army Infantry during Vietnam 1967-1969.  Dennis was severely wounded in 1968 with many prayers said throughout the neighborhood for his recovery.  Dennis served his last year in the Army stateside and later attended the UC for Radiology.  Dennis wed Danease (Rosenacker) and welcomed Brian, Katie and 5 Grandchildren.  At the request of our late parishioner, Mel Fariello, Dennis was asked to serve Mass on Sunday’s and has been dutifully assisting for the last 15 years.  He has served at many funerals and has been flexible to the priests’ requests for feast days, blessings, and special occasions.   

Mary Ann and her cousin Jimmy Capano, (their fathers were brothers) started attending San Antonio Church around 2007 when we were celebrating our 85th Anniversary.  In 2006, Mary Ann had just retired as a Title Examiner, when she met Fr. James Schutte, Pastor at St. James.  On his invitation Mary Ann came to the Rosary and Communion Service and Lunch on the House.  Mary Ann also met Fr. Jim Kiffmeyer, at St. James White Oak when he was temporarily in charge on Fr, Schutte’s absence.  Fr.  Jim Kiffmeyer replace Fr. Jim Schutte at San Antonio in 2010, and at that time, Mary Ann found a new home church.  Mary Ann has been volunteering for the Rosary and Communion Service on Tuesday’s and at Mass on Sunday’s. 

Jimmy Capano soon followed as he had just retired from his full-time job in the restaurant business with the Commissar Family.  Jimmy and wife, Valerie Capano have always enjoyed the fast-paced work of the restaurant business and are now at the Capital Grille in Kenwood on Sunday’s.  Jimmy and Valerie’s family consists of 3 sons, Brandon, James, and Kyle.  Jimmy Capano has been a supporter of all our fundraisers, yearly Mussie Fest’s, and annual Spaghetti Dinners.  Jimmy’s Great Grandmother was Italia Marie (Zari) Mazzei (1888-1975) well known professional Midwife for 37 years who aided in 6,000 births while living in Cincinnati.  There is another Mazzei connection to Jimmy Capano with Connie (Mazzei) Dalessandro and Janet (Mazzei) Rieff.  They along with Janet’s hubby Mike are part of the group who picks up debris every Sunday morning before Mass to make our grounds a welcoming place.  

Tony and Sally Rosiello came to San Antonio Church with his cousin, Alfred (Sonny) and Mary Ann Denicola and Tony’s mom Carmella (Denicola) Rosiello (1929-2017) at the time of our 85th Anniversary.  Tony’s dad, Anthony P. Rosiello grew up at 525 Liberty Street and had passed away in 1991 at 68 years old.  Tony’s Grandparents were Anthony Rosiello (1889-1966) and Antoinette (Patalena) Rosiello (1893-1958) who came to America from Potenza, Italy.  Tony and Sally have really supported San Antonio Church from the start and have never turned down any requests.  They became strong   supporters who promoted our church to coworkers and friends, with Tony inviting Steve Chabot for a visit on Veteran’s Day for a flag ceremony, replacing our worn old glory.  Sally came forward to work tirelessly scheduling our priests and servers for Mass and funerals.  Tony oversaw the printing for the 1st placemat for the Annual Spaghetti Dinner and promoted every ad to make it a success.  Tony and Sally’s family consists of daughters, Gina and Ali, their spouses and 3 grandchildren.  

We have had many good volunteers for our church and hall.  Another dedicated volunteer is Donna Asalone who grew up in Walnut Hills attending Our Lady of Mount Carmel.   Donna came to San Antonio at the invitation of Carmella “Cumi” Berger to bake cookies for our Palm Sunday Bake Sale.  Donna has been with us for 5 years now joining the Men and Ladies Club and volunteering at the 2nd and 4th Tuesday Lunch on the House and for the 1st Sunday of the Month family receptions.  Donna’s parents were Giovanni Anthony Asaslone (1920-1980) and Pasqua (Perrino) Asalone (1921-2013 who came from Gallo, Province of Caserta, Campania, Italy.  Donna’s family consists of late husband Joseph Fleshman (1942-2019), daughter Marianne and grandchildren Kyle and Lauren.   

A couple who came to San Antonio Church to work at Lunch on the House have been volunteering for every event and have now joined the Men’s and Ladies Club.  Chuck and Nancy Bailey enjoy volunteering and are good friends of Dave and Sandy Sabatelli, Chuck and Nancy Bailey have enjoyed many new friendships and everyone at San Antonio wishes them well as they celebrate their 55th Wedding Anniversary on this Friday, June 24, 2022.  Congratulations!